Worth Extending Shanghai Visit to Include HKDL?

January 9, 2019, 1:34 PM

Hi all! I've finally rescheduled my Shanghai trip for the second week of June. I'm wondering if anyone has gone from Shanghai to Hong Kong to visit Hong Kong Disneyland. If so, was it an easy trip? What's the transition from the HK airport to DL like? Any advice (especially in the "do it!" or "don't do it!" camp - and reasons why - is greatly appreciated!

Replies (7)

Edited: January 10, 2019, 12:34 AM

YES HKDL is absolutely worth going to, it's a small park but has some great attractions and unlike most Disney Parks its rarely ever crowded so it's actually really enjoyable. There are plenty of cheap flights and trains between the two cities and just like all other Disney International Parks its easy to get to by train from almost anywhere in the city. You can easily do HK Disneyland in a day.

Just keep in mind with it being Hong Kong everything will be way more expensive than mainland China. HK is one of the most expensive places in the world for pretty much everything (although Shanghai Disneyland is very expensive especially considering its location).

Be aware since your going in summer it will be extremely hot and humid. The climate in Hong Kong is a little bit more hot and humid than Florida.

January 10, 2019, 1:48 PM

Thanks! I spent a summer in Southern China, so I'm prepping for the steam, haha. I appreciate the input!

January 11, 2019, 11:54 AM

When I visited, I went from central HK, which was an easy enough train journey - it's a small, well-connected city. The trip from the airport seems similarly simple. But it might just be easiest to get a taxi. The park is super close to the airport - so even if it's a little more expensive, I'm sure it'd be worth the saving in time and hassle.

It's definitely worth a visit just for Mystic Manor, as you've probably heard. And the park itself has a sweet kind of intimacy that most of Disney's other parks - certainly their more recent ones - lack. (It's charming, if you can forget the fact that intimacy was probably more a consequence of budget constraints than artistic ambition.) Iron Man and Grizzly Gulch are fun too, and unlikely to ever be cloned elsewhere.

Have you been to HK before? Of all the places I visited in that area, it was definitely the one I wished I'd spent a little more time - so it might be worth stretching to a few days if you can. Less so for the city itself, and more for the beautiful hikes and hidden spots on the outer islands.

January 11, 2019, 1:58 PM

Ben - That's fantastic advice! Exactly what I was looking for. I've never been to Hong Kong, so extending is definitely an option I've favoring. Mystic Manor alone is driving my desire to get there. Do you recommend staying on-property, or elsewhere?

January 11, 2019, 4:17 PM

You can absolutely see the park in one day - I went during a busy holiday time, and easily managed to get on everything I wanted to. (Including something like 6 or 7 rides on Mystic Manor.) And there's not much of a "resort" element to HKDL other than the few fairly unremarkable hotels. So if you're planning to spend some time in the city as well, I wouldn't recommend staying on property.

Your tastes may vary on that - I know some people don't feel like they've had the full experience unless they've stayed in a Disney hotel. But I'd recommend making the most of your time in the city, which really comes into its own at night.

Hopefully Gabriel - our resident HKDL expert - will chip in too...

Edited: January 12, 2019, 3:52 AM

Great to read someone else agrees with me about the charm and intimacy of HKDL. I liked HKDL precisely because it was smaller. But then I know all about waiting at the Exits of Disney rides, my family love the cut and thrust of all the Disney Parks. It's a Small World for me forever!
I live in HK and yes, HK has wonderful countryside together with the culture, shopping etc.

January 14, 2019, 1:53 PM

Thank you, Pamela! What other HK sights would you recommend for a first-timer?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive