Need Cedar Point Fast Lane Plus Advice

July 26, 2014, 8:01 AM

Going up to the Point on a Monday & Tuesday in early August. We're staying on property, so we'll get early-morning access; however, with the summer crowds, my husband & I are still considering Fast Lane Plus passes for one or both days.

The website says to buy in advance due to limited daily quantities. Do they typically sell out? Is the pass worth it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies (5)

July 26, 2014, 5:48 PM

I would be very surprised if they would sell out Fast Lane Plus on a Monday or Tuesday unless you wait beyond first thing in the morning and if the weather is perfect. The biggest benefit of the Plus is faster entrance to Gatekeeper, Top Thrill and Maverick. Gatekeeper is a crowd eater with high ride capacity, but Top Thrill and Maverick can take lots of time, and it's hard to judge how long the line is since the queue for both of them is rather hidden. If you expect to ride these two (three) coasters more than once I would recommend considering it. The longest waits seem to be for Millennium Force, which is covered by the regular Fast Lane. If you are the kind who hates waiting for a coaster, get them at least one day.

While at Cedar Point, and if you like ice cream, be sure to hit the Toft's Ice Cream parlor near the front of the park. Great local ice cream in lots of different unusual flavors. And if you like to try some local beers and wines, hit the Trail Tavern on Frontier Trail- great place to slow down, have a drink, and decompress from riding Millennium Force, which goes right over the tavern but somehow you don't notice it. Have a great time!

July 28, 2014, 4:32 AM

Thank you, James, for the great advice! And you read my mind about the Toft's ice cream -- I will definitely be getting my Superman fix while there!

July 28, 2014, 9:55 AM

Glad to be of help! And this weekend my son and I will be at Kings Island- sort of a guys weekend away. I hope the weather holds out!

July 28, 2014, 10:56 AM

We'll be at King's Island on Friday to get our first experience on Banshee.

Anyway, in my experience, you really don't need Fast Lane on a weekday unless you really want to marathon something. We've gone on weekdays to Cedar Point the past few years, and not had much trouble getting on every coaster in the park on a 2-3 day trip. The key is to know that Dragster can take a bit to get going in the morning, so it's not worth a race to, and Gatekeeper is a huge people eater, so you don't really need to run to it first thing. Maverick and Millennium Force would be my choices for first ride of the day, and then work your way around the park systematically.

July 28, 2014, 12:10 PM

Russell, also some great advice. Thank you!

It sounds like we can take the "wait & see" approach on the mornings of our visit before rushing to spend more money on the passes in advance. The whole "buy in advance before they sell out" tactic on CP's website may apply to the weekends more so than the weekdays, along with offering a little marketing ploy to boot.

I hope you both enjoy Kings Island! We live close enough to hear the park's nightly fireworks, but ironically, we have not yet been to KI this season. I guess we'll wait to experience Banshee under cooler temperatures in the fall, although this week would be ideal with those unseasonable highs in the 70s. The worst is being in the Concrete Jungle on a 90-degree day!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive