Next HHN Maze: Doctor Who...?

April 13, 2019, 11:21 AM

Now that Universal has already announced two of HHN19's mazes (Blood Pit and Stranger Things 2), seems like a good time to discuss a possible candidate for this year...

via GIPHY

It all goes back to an interview Michael Aiello (Senior Director of Entertainment and Creative Development for Universal Orlando and Halloween Horror Nights) gave the Digital Spy last september (https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/cult/a866196/doctor-who-halloween-horror-nights/), where he expressed his love for the british television series and how much he wants to do it. "It would be a dream to play with those characters".

I have felt that something Whovian-ish could be coming for the parks for quite some time. The amount of Doctor Who themed merchandising is surprising (before all the Bourne rumors, I even though that Doctor Who could be the Terminator replacement, due to the amount of its merchandising of the Terminator gift shop), and it seems it might - just might - come to HHN, even if not in 2019 (although I hope for it to come this year).

Replies (15)

April 13, 2019, 1:33 PM

The Doctor has shown up in the Bill & Ted show and there have been references in Winter’s Night and An American Werewold in London house.

The Doctor Who rumor comes up every few years for Horror Nights but I’ve never thought it was a great fit.

April 13, 2019, 2:54 PM

“Don’t blink.”
“Count the shadows.”
“Listen!”

Weeping Angels, Daleks, Silence...
Doctor Who monsters can sometimes be surprisingly creepy. Some of them, just the thought is enough to shiver (if I am to recommend an episode for a non-Whovian, watch Blink, where stone angel statues become real murdery monsters when no one looks at them!).

April 13, 2019, 6:01 PM

I heard Ghostbusters could be another HHN maze I would rather see Ghostbusters though in a new park just seeing it around Halloween horror nights seems a little boring. By the way a new ghostbusters movie is coming out in 2020. So is the franchise not that popular to be brought back to a universal Orlando park? I didn’t see the ghostbusters all female movie. Someone said it wasn’t that good but I hope it wasn’t because the cast was all female that wouldn’t be right. I just prefer to see more ghostbusters presence at Fantastic Worlds wouldn’t it fit in well with classic monsters???!?

April 13, 2019, 6:22 PM

The female Ghostbusters reboot was one of the few highlights of 2016. I wouldn’t expect the franchise at Horror Nights or Universal.

They probably will have 5 IPs again with Stranger Things already announced. The favored others are Blumhouse, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, The Haunting of House Hill and The Thing.

April 14, 2019, 2:19 PM

It seems like it is almost certain that Ghostbusters will be at this year's HHN. In regards to a whole themed land to it... Not sure if it would work. But alas, a HHN maze seems like a good place to test a reintroduction of the franchise on Universal parks.

Edited: April 14, 2019, 4:30 PM

There was Doctor Who merch in the T2 Show shop when I was there just before closing, so like the OP I expected a Doctor Who replacement too.

However, I would think a Doctor Who experience is unlikely this year, as there will be no season this year for it to synergise with. I think next year would be more likely.

April 15, 2019, 8:39 AM

Doctor Who just doesn't seem like a good candidate for a maze/house. The series rarely ventures into scares and gore - core elements of most HHN attractions. I could see perhaps a show or maybe a "scare zone" to show off the creative talents of the HHN team, but I think they would get a lot of criticism from Whovians if they tried to overextend the franchise into the HHN realm.

April 15, 2019, 10:40 PM

Well, I don't know... They certaintly don't have a lot of gore, but a lot of scares. In fact, most of the episodes are built around tension around the monsters. So, if Stranger Things could do it, why not Doctor Who?

April 16, 2019, 5:18 AM

I think it is too narrow a demographic. Don't get me wrong, I like the series (I used to watch the Tom Baker episodes on PBS when I was growing up in Chicago). But the franchise is so dense. A viewer really has to know the show's history to really enjoy/understand what is going on. I don't think that a Dr. Who footprint would generate a sizable, consistent interest across the calendar span of HHNs. At least not enough to be "house worthy".

April 17, 2019, 10:51 PM

Hmmm, I don't know. I believe the new season has been the most viewed ever, and it's all good as long as they only focus on the series that's running since 2005 (sorry fans of older DW)...
But unfortunatly, Chad has a point. It would possibly make more sense for it to come in 2020, when the new season is back.

April 18, 2019, 7:30 AM

"I believe the new season has been the most viewed ever"

Nope - The ratings for the most recent Dr. Who Christmas Special dropped 29% from the previous year. The Jodie Whittaker (first female Doctor) series has been tracking far below her predecessors after initial record ratings. The novelty of the first female doctor brought solid gains to the series starting with last year's Christmas Special (where she debuted), but as Season 12 started, that shine started to wear off as the stories became predictable and stereotypical of sci-fi shows placing minorities in the lead (like Star Trek). The show definitely has its fans, but it's most decidedly niche, even in "Nerd" culture.

April 18, 2019, 9:29 AM

Women are a minority?

April 18, 2019, 10:53 AM

When it comes to Time Lords and Starfleet captains, yes.

April 21, 2019, 7:27 PM

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/12/doctor-who-season-11-ratings-jodie-whittaker

"according to Vulture, Whittaker’s first season in the role of the Thirteenth Doctor has garnered more American viewers than those of former Time Lords Matt Smith, David Tennant, and Christopher Eccleston."

"The season’s first eight episodes averaged 1.6 million viewers on BBC America (counting delayed viewing and on-demand replays)—a 20 percent jump from Peter Capaldi’s final season"

So yeah... Not a niche.

Edited: April 21, 2019, 9:02 PM

Ratings need to be taken with a grain of salt these days, as the figure you'll get depends on whether you look at broadcast only, Broadcast + DVR 7 days, Broadcast + DVR + Catchup, etc.

That said, if we exclude the Doctor and Missy/The Master; I think I'm about even for Time lords v Time Ladies - Susan, Romana, Rani, River Song, and the mysterious figure believed to be the Doctor's mother for the Ladies; Rassilon, Omega, The Mad Monk and the Castellon for the Gents. If I throw in Valeyard (who is technically The Doctor) we're even stevens.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive