Suggestions for wave pools?

Edited: May 8, 2019, 12:34 PM

Hello,
My 13 yr old is not a big fan of roller coaster, but loves water parks, especially wave pools. Any suggestions in the upper 48? Was thinking about Calypso near Ottawa and then Kalahari Poconos, Cedar Point or Kings Island, or open to other suggestions.

Replies (7)

May 7, 2019, 1:04 PM

There are wave pools and water parks in virtually every single metropolitan area in the United States. Are you looking for anything special, or interested in visited any specific place in the US?

May 7, 2019, 5:23 PM

May 7, 2019, 5:25 PM

Yes there are, but in Chicago for example, there is nothing worth traveling here for in terms of a water park. Large wave pool is one the top of the list.

May 7, 2019, 5:44 PM

The wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon is one of the ten best attractions in Central Florida.

Edited: May 8, 2019, 7:38 AM

To be perfectly honest, there's not a single water park in the US that's worth an exclusive visit. Certainly there are some water parks that are better than others, but if you've seen one, you've seen most of them. With indoor and outdoor water parks alike in virtually every corner of the country, there's very little reason to plan a trip around a visit to a specific water park. Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, TX is probably the ONLY one that may worth a look, and I would probably recommend coupling a visit there with visits to Sea World, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, along with other San Antonio and Austin attractions. There's not a single water park in the US that I would recommend planning an exclusive visit around.

If you're in Chicago, Magic Waters is a decent, though not spectacular, water park under the Six Flags umbrella. You're also just a 3-hour drive from Wisconsin Dells, which claims to be the "water park capital of the world". Mt. Olympus is a combination water park and theme park in the Dells, and the region's biggest draw. Splashin' Safari in Santa Claus, IN is also a very good water park, and like Mt. Olympus is part of a theme park (Holiday World).

Volcano Bay, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, and Aquatica in Orlando are all top notch water parks, but given their location it would be silly to travel to the theme park capital of the world just to visit water parks.

May 8, 2019, 2:35 PM

If location and I'm assuming price are no hinderance, then I would suggest the best wavepool would be Banzai Pipeline in Hawaii. Best waves(12ft), best local culture(O'hau), best pool(Pacific Ocean). Well, second best pool. I have to say without a doubt that I am the best pool.

May 8, 2019, 5:21 PM

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to ask. Pretty much every standalone waterpark of decent size has a wave pool, and in general the experience of one wave pool is about the same as another. If that's the sole feature you're seeking out, I'd look at what waterparks are within about 100 miles of where you live and pick the one with the largest wave pool. Alternatively, plan a trip somewhere and then find out what the local waterpark is...most cities large enough to be worth traveling to have at least one nearby.

If you're looking for the best/most notable waterparks in the northern part of the country, my suggestions would be Splashin' Safari (included with Holiday World in Indiana), Noah's Ark (Wisconsin), Splish Splash (New York), or Camelbeach (Pennsylvania). Note that I haven't visited most of these (only Splashin' Safari, which I'd consider my favorite waterpark), but they are the ones that seem to stand out on travel shows. Most regional parks also have a waterpark included with admission or adjacent to the park, so you might want to look into trips to Cedar Point, Hersheypark, Kings Island, or Six Flags Great Adventure with a waterpark day added on.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive