Is a visit to Star Wars:GE worth $149?

May 8, 2019, 3:51 PM

I wasn't planning to visit the new Star Wars land for at least six months, but I was on the reservation website to see how it was working and ended up with a reservation for the family for the first weekend after opening (my apologies if I was the one who prevented your getting a reservation).

We have evening plans that we can't get out of, so I would imagine we would have the four hours in Galaxy's Edge plus maybe two or 2 1/2 hours in Disneyland before our 11 am reservation.

Does the privilege of visiting early (with possibly lower crowds during that initial reservation period) outweigh the high cost of admission to Disneyland? I really wouldn't have minded waiting for a year or more, but my kids want to go sooner.

I think a visit in November would mean a full day in the park for the same amount of money, minus the novelty of being one of the first of the general public to visit.

Replies (7)

May 9, 2019, 1:42 AM

Ultimately, that is your decision. For me personally, the $149 price tag was one of the two main reasons I didn't try for a reservation (the other being delays with Rise of the Resistance). However, now that you have the reservation, you're pretty much guaranteed a chance to visit. There is no telling what the land may be like once reservations are no longer required, and I do think it is likely that all time slots for the day will be gone within an hour of opening most days for the remainder of the year. The real question is this...if you wait, are you okay with visiting the park at a later time and potentially not having an opportunity to visit?

May 9, 2019, 8:12 AM

I concur with AJ. I wouldn't pay that much to enjoy only half of the experience (no ROTR). Family of four with parking, food and souvenirs = $1000+?

To each his own, but this Disney Drone would say, "too rich for my blood."

May 9, 2019, 1:03 PM

I would say no... Given one of the major attractions isn't open I just can't understand why someone would choose to pay more to get less?

May 9, 2019, 1:58 PM

I would say that if you live in the area, or visit frequently, then it wouldn't be worth the expense unless you're a HUGE SW fan, and absolutely must see it as soon as possible. However, if your currently reserved time offers your only opportunity to see Galaxy's Edge for a while, you should bite the bullet and pay up.

For my family, we travel to California about once every 3-5 years, but go to Orlando about every 2-3 years. Therefore, the likelihood of RotR not being open when we visit in late-July/early-August is not a game changer since we'll get to experience that the next time we're at DHS (at least by 2021). Even though the lands virtually identical, by visiting GE at DL this summer and DHS in 2020 or later, it will make the experience in Orlando new and unique.

May 10, 2019, 11:30 AM

Thanks, everyone. With the new information about restrictions for entry to Star Wars GE via a virtual queue after the initial reservation period is over, I think that allays my concerns that the land would be overly crowded after June 23rd. We can definitely wait until the fall when hopefully crowds will have lessened, especially on a weekday.

And I agree with what everyone is saying about cost and value for Disneyland. We will be in Tokyo this summer and spending two days at the Tokyo Disneyland resort. The 2-day tickets (not park hoppers) cost 13,200 yen total, which works out to $120 with current exchange rates.

That's one day at Tokyo Disneyland and one day at Tokyo Disney Sea for significantly less money than a single day at Disneyland (or California Adventure).

May 10, 2019, 1:20 PM

I'm all-in on the land. But, I must say, grabbing non-transferable reservations on the off change you may decide to go is kind of a jerk move. That reservation will just sit there while folks who tried and tried are stuck at home. Let's all try to be a bit more thoughtful in the future, eh?

May 10, 2019, 2:16 PM

You're absolutely right. I got caught up in the excitement and hype all over social media and Disney and theme park sites about the reservations becoming available that day.

I was expecting to have to enter a ticket number or pass number to actually make the reservation, but it never appeared. When I got close to the end, I started thinking, maybe we will visit the park that day, since it will be opening weekend...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive