Disneyland In October - Am I Crazy?

May 21, 2019, 12:49 PM

Okay friends, it's time to introduce my girlfriend to my love of Disneyland. We live in Colorado, but I grew up in Huntington Beach, CA. I want to play a trip this fall, preferably in October. Gone are the slow days at DLR, and Galaxy's Edge is going to make things crazy. We're thinking 3 days in the parks will be enough time to really enjoy ourselves while still getting the most out of the trip. We're completely prepared to go with the flow, wait in crazy lines, and just take it all in.

But here's the question: Am I completely crazy?

Replies (9)

May 21, 2019, 1:08 PM

Nope - If you were going next week, I'd say you're crazy (or if you were going to DHS in October), but not Disneyland in October. In fact, October might be the perfect time to visit with slightly reduced crowds and a decent chance that Rise of the Resistance might be open by then. You also get the added benefit of the Halloween decorations/party and the ride conversions (Haunted Mansion Holiday and possibly Small World Holiday). We're going at the end of July/early August, and while we've been to DL/DCA before, it's been 5+ years since our last visit, yet we're only planning 3 days for the parks (almost one full day dedicated to Galaxy's Edge).

May 21, 2019, 1:15 PM

Woo hoo! I was hoping my inclination wasn't too far off. I was an Annual Passholder for decades, but after allowing it to lapse I've been off my game. :-) I'm just hoping RotR doesn't open the day we arrive! The question is, will I have to kiss Iger's ring right in the park, or will handing over my financial account login info suffice?

May 21, 2019, 1:34 PM

I think bending the knee, paying tribute in coin, and service of your first born male heir will be sufficient.

May 21, 2019, 1:57 PM

Whew, thank goodness!

May 21, 2019, 3:01 PM

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201810/6325/

This article has links to the AP and local school calendar from when the park was slammed last Columbus Day. A good strategy seems to be avoiding days when when schools are out and the lowest tier passes are not blocked out.

May 21, 2019, 5:11 PM

Crowds at Disneyland are going to be very unpredictable for the next year or two, but I would say that if you visit on weekdays in October you should be okay. Avoid weekends, especially Columbus weekend, as those have the potential to hit capacity. Three days should be plenty of time to take in everything of note that both parks offer at pretty much any time of year, so you should be fine on that front. If you have flexibility and don't care about Halloween, I'd say bumping back to the first half of November may be slightly better, but otherwise you're picking a fine time to go (I would not recommend any earlier than October unless travel restrictions require).

As far as Rise of the Resistance goes, I'd say you've got about a 50/50 chance of it being ready. I've heard estimates of anywhere from August to November from various insiders, so I don't think anyone truly knows what is going on there.

May 22, 2019, 8:57 AM

Ah, the school calendar is a great resource. Thanks, Aaron!

AJ - Bumping back to November may be possible! I don't really mind either way as far as the Halloween festivities go, apart from having an evening or two eliminated from DCA for the Halloween party (what is it called now? Jack's Not-So-Mickey-Oogie-Boogie-Thingamajiggy? :-))

Thanks again all!

May 27, 2019, 2:07 PM

of course, you could see if tickets are available for Oogie Boogie's Bash, it does offer the advantage of limited attendance, loads of candy and shows. Otherwise October mid-week is a good choice as is November mid-week. AS others have stated avoid Columbus Day and Veterans Day, and the usually the day after either of those days can be busy as well.
Whatever you choose - have a fun time.

May 29, 2019, 8:54 AM

Thanks, LJ! I can't wait!

Also, if anyone has any tips for how to celebrate a birthday at the parks, let me know! I'm looking at different room decoration options and the possibility of having a cast member deliver ears and a birthday cake to our room first thing in the morning. I'm sure they're more than happy to accommodate for a nominal fee, hah!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive