Having spent most of the day wandering around, and enjoying Colonial Williamsburg, I headed towards Kings Dominion late afternoon. The little hotel was close enough to walk to the park, but I have my Cedar Fair platinum, so for the 2 days I decided to be lazy, and drove across the road. In reality it’s a good job I did …. after spending 8+ hours in the park I don’t think I would have made it back !!
Here’s my take on KD ……….
1) I’m either getting too old for this game …. or Kings Dominion is a sprawling park …. ?? Either way I’m Ok with it.
2) When RMC rebuild Gwazi, they need to take the best of SV and TT, shake it all up a bit, and produce the best RMC on the planet. I like both, but despite the repetitiveness of SV, the first drop makes it just that bit better an RMC than TT. Don’t get me wrong, I really like TT, and Oh boy does it live up to its name during the mad dash in what is a limited amount of space. I liked the idea of a metal detector entrance to TT as well, and the way they gave you a green/red card, so they knew who had ‘stuff’ to put in the little baggie under the seat. I’m willing to bet the Gwazi redo will be the same ?? Universal Orlando …. Take Note .. !!!!!! And yes, I still forgot to move that darn seat belt buckle out of the way for the first ride or 2 … :(
3) Don’t think I grayed out on I305 …. I can’t remember … LOL … !! Seriously though, I never had a problem. Awesome ride, especially the way it switches direction on its way around the track. Really fast too, although those trims just over half way round make the 2nd part a little less speedy. Interesting to see they have the wheels water cooled while it sits in the station. Made me smile …. some college kids in front of me actually asked if I was going to ride the coaster ?? in the front seat ?? Er, yes, that’s the plan !! Funny. But Fury’s graceful exhilaration wins hands down over I305’s brutally forceful nature. I hate those Intamin restraints anyway. Give me the B&M ‘clam shells’ every day of the week …. soooooo much freedom .. :)
4) Is Avalanche a coaster ?? I think not.
5) Oh, and yes, I am getting too old for this game ……… I thought Woodstock Express was a rough ride. And, Grizzly nearly killed me !?!? Holy crap, why do I do this s**t anyway ?? And ….. I’ve still got 2 parks to go. Will I make it back to Orlando ??
6) I305 and TT are so far ahead of the other coasters in the park, on my 2nd day, I just went back and forth between the 2. With a bit of shopping for the grandson in-between.
7) Oh, and talking about shopping. How can Kings Dominion still sell T-shirts with Volcano on ??? It’s just not cricket guys !!
8) The Ferris wheel and Eiffel tower are superb places for getting excellent photos of the park and coasters.
9) OK, I’ll try and do a top 5 …… I305; TT; Drop Tower; Delirium; Dominator
10) KD is no BGW, but a good park all the same. It wasn’t quiet, but not Disney style busy either. The school groups were mostly gone by 5pm, so it was a good last few hours for walk-on rides on my top 2.
……….. and so, it’s on to Cabela’s. I think there is a theme park somewhere close by, but hey who cares. It’s Cabela’s time again …….. :)