Life's taking me to Portland, OR at the start of next month. But in order to save a little money on flights (or re-allocate the saved money, anyway) I'm going to fly in to San Francisco and make a bit of a road trip out of it all there and back to see some other places. Including, of course, some parks.
I'm planning to spend most of a day at Discovery Kingdom on the way up, and check out Enchanted Forest when in Portland. On the way back down I'm hoping to stop at Lagoon and Evermore, and finish the trip with a few days in Anaheim - mainly because I've never been to Knotts, but also to check out new stuff at DCA. (My last visit was pre-Cars Land.) I may squeeze an evening in at Disneyland too - but I'll see Galaxy's Edge at WDW later in the year, so I've no strong desire to take a whole day there.
I've a few questions that hopefully some of you will be able to help me with…
1. In the case of all of the above, am I better off buying tickets online in advance, or will I find decent coupons etc in the area?
2. $30 for parking at SFDK?!? Is this an actual thing people pay, or will I find coupons? Given I'm going solo, it's really making me consider skipping the park entirely.
3. I'm really struggling to find accommodation walkable from Disneyland that's a) less than $100 per night and b) has reviews that suggest it's clean and not bug-ridden. (I know it's high season, but I'm really not after anything deluxe - a simple clean room would just be nice.) Does anyone have any tips or recommendations? I'm not completely opposed to staying further out and parking, but I'm assuming parking on resort in mid-July is going to be hellish.
4. I'm planning to get a Knotts season pass, because I'd like to squeeze in a full day *and* a morning after. Plus I'd like the early entry - and the passholder discount on the Knotts hotel makes it pretty reasonably priced, particularly as it saves me the parking charge. (I'm just intending to do a single night there.) Do they ever do discounts on the season pass?
5. Have any TPI readers been to Evermore? I'm really intrigued by it (particularly as someone who works in theatre) but the few legit reviews I can find online are from when the park opened, where they all talk about how the place was still much a construction site. Does anyone know if things have improved since then? I'm unlikely to be heading that way again in the near future, but if it's still distinctly unfinished then my time on this trip might be better spent elsewhere.
6. Any other tips/thoughts? My only visit to the west coast was a week in LA some years ago - where I did Universal & SFMM, and have no strong desire to do those again. (I am of course packing in a bunch of other stuff as well, including a few days in SF, a stop in Vegas and a couple national parks, but figured I'd keep this focussed to parks for now...)Tweet
This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.