Orlando theme park holiday in January/February

Edited: July 18, 2019, 6:12 PM

Hallo from Italy, I'm very happy to plan an holiday to Orlando the next January/February 2020, I have chosen this period for the cool temperature and of course for the lower attendance at the theme parks.
My question is, are there a lot of main rides that may be closed and under refurbishment? this is my only doubt, thanks for your attention and for the help you give me.

Replies (9)

July 17, 2019, 7:15 AM

For that sort of information it's best to visit the theme parks web page, and check the dates.

They are generally very good at keeping maintenance schedules up to date.

Edited: July 17, 2019, 8:31 AM

You can pretty much guarantee one (and possibly 2) of the water rides at IOA to be closed during that period (Jurassic Park, Dudley Do-Right, Bluto's Bilge Barges), and one of WDW's water parks to be closed (they alternate their schedules so at least 1 is always open). Beyond that, it's difficult to project what exactly will be closed, and as far as I'm aware, there aren't any attractions that are due for a prolonged (more than a month) refurbishment. However, Disney is really good about putting up notices as to what they expect to do about 4-6 months in advance. Obviously, something can always come up as part of a routine inspection that could take an attraction down for an extended period of time, but in general, you shouldn't see more than one major attraction closed in a park at any given time, even during the slower times of the year.

July 17, 2019, 9:36 AM

Mako and Russell are correct! It's really the water rides that require extended down time in the off season. Universal tends to only post their calendar about 3 months out because the majority of their rides are designed to be running all year. Here is a link to their calendar.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/hours-information/park-hours

Edited: July 18, 2019, 7:28 AM

Thanks everyone for the help, and if I have to choose between first half of November and the end of January to beginning of February, which is the best period in your opinion?

July 18, 2019, 7:47 AM

It depends. If you visit at the beginning of November, you will miss Rise of the Resistance at DHS, though Galaxy's Edge will be open. However, the beginning of November also includes the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival versus January/February, which has the EPCOT Festival of the Arts.

Given that Galaxy's Edge will still be pretty new in November, I would expect larger crowds than during the end of January/beginning of February (when we're planning our next visit). In either case, I would be mindful of the minor holidays that occur during these months. Veterans Day falls on Monday, November 11, so I would expect larger crowds during the week prior and week following this holiday weekend. The week prior to Veterans Day also lines up with "Jersey Week", which is a time when schools in New Jersey have off, and there is a surge of visits to Orlando from the state. The same goes for MLK Day in mid-January and Presidents Day in mid-late February.

Our local school system has 2 off-days during the last week of January, which is why we're targeting that particular week, but it also appears that there are a number of events going on at WWoS, which will still bring moderate crowds to WDW.

Edited: July 18, 2019, 8:48 AM

Both periods have the potential to be relatively quiet. But if I was recommending a time for friends to come over I would choose Jan/Feb every time.

Although, you mention visiting Orlando, and not necessarily just Disney, so SeaWorld, Universal and Busch Gardens will all be in off-season mode during both periods.

And, if you do leave it until Jan/Feb, Rise of the Resistance will be open, so another good reason to wait until early 2020 ??

July 18, 2019, 10:48 AM

My vote would also be for January/February. T

July 18, 2019, 3:11 PM

On the presumption you have never been before, then I say forget Rise of the Resistance, and go see EPCOT at its best - during food and wine. They'll be plenty of other amazing attractions to keep you amused.

August 5, 2019, 6:17 AM

The last time we went in February was way back in 1996. The weather was cool but ok. Just remember to wear a jacket or sweat top in the evenings as the temperature will drop.
There was no Islands of Adventure then but, as I recall ( and our photos bear this out) , most of the rides at Disney and Universal still ran.
Roseanne was filming at EPCOT when we went and we met and chatted with John Goodman in between filming. We also stood with Roseanne, John and the crew to watch the fireworks.
Great memories come when you least expect them and going to Orlando "out of season" proved to be a great holiday. Enjoy.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive