Does a bridge make something a theme park?

August 8, 2019, 2:00 AM

I know we’ve had plenty of fun discussing if Disney Springs is a theme park... but I think I’ve found a proposition that can unite both sides of that debate...

In Cornwall, UK, a footbridge has opened linking the two sides of the ruin of Tintagel castle which are divided by a chasm,l; Tintagel is supposedly linked to Arthurian legend.. The bridge itself is strangely controversial:

—————-
It has been welcomed by many and criticised by others. Some have accused English Heritage of the “Disneyfication” of the site. As evidence they point to the bridge and two artworks – a carving of Merlin’s head in the cove and an Arthurian sculpture titled Gallos on the headland.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/08/controversial-and-late-tintagel-footbridge-in-cornwall-to-open
—————-

Can we unite the two sides of the community and agree that a Bridge doesn’t make something a theme park - even if a castle is involved?

Replies (3)

August 8, 2019, 10:33 AM

Oh man... what if you made a theme park out of a bridge! Like if the Golden Gate bridge had a couple coasters, drop towers, dark rides, and a carousel!

I think "the "Disneyfication of things" is an interesting topic because it's doesn't clearly articulate an idea. Does it mean things are too safe? Are things too easy? Historically inaccurate? Culturally sensitive?

Thanks for sharing!

August 10, 2019, 11:35 AM

A theme park, is a RARE occurrence of an amusement park.
95% of all amusements parks a no theme parks... (some pretend to be)
I never liked the abuse of the denomination 'theme park'.
The Disneyfication of things, is seldom reality. (only wishfull thinking)
The Sixflagisation of things, is MORE commonplace.
Disney has been in the grip of terrible Sixflagisation, in the 1980-1990-ies.
Bizarre but reality.

QUOTE : "..what if you made a theme park out of a bridge! Like if the Golden Gate bridge had a couple coasters, drop towers, dark rides, and a carousel!" >>> that's Sixflagisation, NOT turning a bridge into a theme park. It's BANNING a bridge from becoming a theme park, ever... (Banned forever = gone to hell :-) )
If you want to turn a bridge into a theme park, you must add a STORY to that bridge.

August 10, 2019, 6:23 PM

Generally, in my experience, people who ‘accuse’ things of being disneyfied ( i. e. they mean being tacky) have never been to disney and have no clue what it’s about - It’s a term often used by Brits

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive