Ditching the 3D

September 2, 2019, 2:06 PM

Yesterday, September 1st, being that Dorian made crowds dsappear from the parks, I went to Universal Studios with my friend.

I got ride Minions, which I hadn't in years (it's never been my favorite, and I only went because of the 5 minute line), and had a better time at the ride than I remembered.

But also, it was my first time riding it since they removed the 3d. And boy did it make it a much better experience.

I later rode Gingotts, and thinking about the 3D-less Minions, decided to ride part of it without the 3D glasses.

And once again, that actually made the ride better. Not only was I able to see more of what was happening on-screen, but everything seemed more realistic, and blended better. I would throw a celebration party if they, one day, decided to remove the 3D from that attraction.

What do you guys think? Should Universal remove the 3D from attractions such as Gringotts, Kong and Transformers?

Replies (3)

September 3, 2019, 4:57 AM

The sooner the 3D and VR fads die again, the happier I’ll be.

September 5, 2019, 4:33 PM

TBH, some rides have great 3D. And VR works well with The Void like experiences.
But some rides just have it thrown on them, and would be better off without them.

September 6, 2019, 7:52 AM

I agree. We saw Minion Mayhem for the first time without the 3D in USH, and I didn't really see much of a difference. There are only a few deliberate scenes where 3D is effective in that attraction, so I'd gladly take a crisper 8k digital image over a few hokey 3D gags.

Certain attractions though would definitely lose their luster if 3D were eliminated like Star Tours, Amazing Spiderman, and FoP.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive