E.T. Computers Missing

August 10, 2014, 10:16 AM

The computers at the beginning of E.T. where they take your name for E.T. to say at the end are missing. All that is left there are some desks with holes where the wires used to go up to the computers. Because of this E.T. no longer can say the names at the end of the ride. Anybody know why they are gone completely?

Replies (19)

Edited: August 10, 2014, 10:47 AM

I've read that they were having problems with the outdated software. So, the names have been absent for about two months. New software is coming, but no date has been made public yet. And, more of the new popular names will be available to the programmers.

August 10, 2014, 2:47 PM

Ok. Thanks Rob.

August 10, 2014, 4:10 PM

I have to write a part 2 to my trip report... I have a list of all the things I noticed on a ride by ride basis. E.T. was one of them. I like the fact that you just go right to the line now.

We started giving fake names to change it up after a while. I was Sheldon, my youngest was Bernadette, my oldest was Penny, and my wife was Amy......

August 10, 2014, 7:23 PM

If it's been down for 2 months, that could be an indication of ET closing soon.

August 11, 2014, 9:57 AM

I think it could be interesting if Universal handed out a card in the area of the old computers and put touchscreen computers that you type the name and swipe the card to register the name and then hand the card in when you get to the ride vehicle instead if bringing back someone typing it into a computer for you.

August 11, 2014, 10:30 AM

That would probably slow up the line too much.

August 11, 2014, 12:20 PM

The cast members always messed up every time I rode E.T. because they swiped my card at the loading area and then took me to a vehicle that was not wheelchair accessible. Then I had to wait for the accessible one, and in the meantime E.T. was saying my name to another person. Needless to say that when it was my turn he didn't say Daniel.

August 14, 2014, 1:56 PM

Nice, N B!

August 17, 2014, 2:30 PM

Touring Plans just tweeted that the new ET computers will be installed soon, with many more names available.

August 17, 2014, 4:09 PM

Yep I saw. Thanks Rob.

August 19, 2014, 6:50 AM

well I guess the good news is for E.T lovers is if they are updating the software then that means E.T isn't going anywhere for now.

Edited: August 19, 2014, 11:26 AM

ET is honestly a solid attraction. The queue and first half of the ride are excellent. The acid trip second half needs to be reimagined. I wouldn't mind seeing it stay. It's a change of pace compared to the thrill ride heavy park it resides.

August 19, 2014, 1:48 PM

Hee, hee, Court -- the acid trip part of the ride is actually my favorite :-).

Got my hopes up a bit when I heard the computers were gone -- that always seemed like an unnecessary delay in the line to me, plus he was never that good at saying the names any how. But I'm glad to know the ride seems to be staying. It's a little silly, but, like Court says, a nice change of pace from other parts of the park.

August 19, 2014, 2:33 PM

Me too on the acid trip. Love that part of the attraction. But the queue, and its terrific scent, make the attraction.

August 20, 2014, 8:26 AM

Oh I'm sure people love it, Ashley and I thought it was hilarious... In a "WTF was that?" sort of way. The second half distracts and doesn't blend well with the truly immersive queue/first half of the ride, nor does it use it's source material very well. I honestly feel that second half is what keeps the ride from truly being great as the story falls apart and the audience is not left "wowed."

August 25, 2014, 6:10 AM

Let's not forget how good the ride smells.

August 26, 2014, 8:30 AM

Quick update on the computers, as of 2
Days ago they're still not there.

August 26, 2014, 9:32 AM

Oh no, are they totally getting rid o f E.T.? This is one of my favorite rides. This one, and Back to the Future were two of my first rides at Universal, and they were also my favorites. I'm all for upgrades too but I'm gonna miss E.T.

August 26, 2014, 12:02 PM

Well, I have a sneaking suspicion that Fear Factor, E.T., Twister and T2-3D will all be closed within 3 years.

The last three I mentioned are all dated, but we love going back to them over and over. Especially Twister...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive