Theme Immersion Quotient.

April 30, 2020, 1:43 PM

Greetings from mexico¡¡¡ I do admit is a old theme.But hey...where are not going anywhere soon... When can be an amusement park considered a theme park proper???
I do propose a qualification system that considers this points...every atracttion should be rated taking into account the concept/desing (5 of 5 points for originality and story telling) 5 of 5 points for production quality and immersion elements (entry queque,ride vehicule appareance, elements trough the ride) and finally ride intensity or enjoyment ( other 5 of 5 pionts, grand total 15 points)

Replies (6)

April 30, 2020, 1:50 PM

park rides with high points in the first two elements will have a big number in the TIQ (theme immersion Quotient). If the park have a high average of this quotient on its rides, or even food venues or other related infrastructures in the park, it may be considered a theme park proper, and not just a amusement park with themed rides.

April 30, 2020, 1:55 PM

for example, the big thunder railroad coaster in magic kingdom is considered a family level ride ( mild intensity, perhaps a level 2 of intensity, but since is very enjoyable can go up a 3 in overall expirience)3 of 5 for originality and concept (old west mine train, a few of those around, and its not the first) but the quality of producction is very high. 4 of 5. So the total score is 10 out of 15 for ride rating , but the TIQ is 8 of 10. Very good indeed.

April 30, 2020, 1:55 PM

April 30, 2020, 2:01 PM

on the other hand, el toro in six flags is other story. 4 0f five for track layout and dising. but 1 of 5 for production elements ( theme is slapped on, couldd be anythig really )and 5 of 5 for ride enjoment and intensity. It is an amazing ride with a rate of ten of 15 ( a tie here ) but the TIQ is 5 of 10.
So for the theming, not very hig, and its an amusement park attracttion all the way. So what do you think. can we use something like this to know if a park is a theme park proper. No system is perfect. just a suggestion.

April 30, 2020, 7:07 PM

I think you're making it too awkward, and throwing a lot of subjective measures in.

I think the question is a lot simpler.

Is the focus the ride, or the theme?

If the focus is the ride, and the theme is simply slapped on (Six Flags, Blackpool Pleasure Beach), then its an amusement park

If the focus is the theme, and the ride systems are a means to an end, then its a theme park (Disney, Universal).

April 30, 2020, 10:36 PM

point taken about some of the subjective measures (not that much of an expert of the subject) However an establish metrics will help on the long run. Parks like six flags are starting to blur the line on ride and theme. this is just for fun for us, but if a familiy wants to take a vacation based on theme but cant afford a disney vacation, but there is a amusement park near their hometown with a high TIQ in a good portion of rides, maybe a better option for their money. food for tougth.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive