Over 25,000 people sign petition asking Disneyland to re-open at later date

June 13, 2020, 12:59 PM

The petition is at Change.org: https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-schedule-disneyland-to-reopen-at-a-later-date

From the petition:

"The Disneyland Resort put out a statement on June 10th, 2020 to reopen the parks on July 17th, 2020. As you know, Covid-19 cases are rising and have not dropped. Many people have lost loved ones due to this pandemic and by reopening the parks they are endangering cast members and guests to be exposed to Covid-19. There are more cases now than when the parks closed on March 13th, 2020. Health Officials have stated that the 2nd wave of Covid-19 will be worse. So reopening before the 2nd wave even hits us is irresponsible and greedy. I understand everyone is rejoicing for the reopening of the parks but not during a pandemic where people are DYING, now is not the time.

On March 27th, 2020 Disney Parks released a statement, “the safety and well-being of our guests and employees remains The Walt Disney Company’s top priority.” The solution would be to reschedule Disneyland to reopen the parks at a later date when cases of Covid-19 drop and Health Officials state it is safer for everyone but to still practice social distancing."

Replies (17)

June 13, 2020, 1:01 PM

Wherever I go, whether running errands at the bank or store, or visiting our local public gardens that require reservations and masks/facial coverings, I see at least half the people are not wearing masks or not wearing them properly.

It's relatively easy for a theme park to require people entering the gate to be wearing facial coverings, but it's another matter to ask them to continue wearing them, to observe physical distancing guidelines, to be respectful to other people and think of a responsibility to the societal good.

Asking people to work at the jobs at essential services like grocery stores is a different matter than asking people who work at entertainment venues like theme parks to risk their health and the health of those they work with. Regardless of how much you want to return to your favorite theme park and enjoy it there, would you feel comfortable dealing with guests all day long in possibly close physical proximity if you were a employee?

June 13, 2020, 1:45 PM

Beijing is back into partial lockdown.

Edited: June 13, 2020, 2:10 PM

@Spaceman: Of those people who "are not wearing masks or not wearing them properly," how many are coughing or sneezing?

Also I have not heard much negative blowback about face covering at either DSTP or UO ...Have you?

June 13, 2020, 4:14 PM

@TH Creative: Hasn't Universal Orlando been open for a week or less? Typically it takes up to 14 days for symptoms to appear after exposure.

Also, there is a lot of presymptomatic spread of the virus. Coughing and sneezing are not the only indicators of carrying the virus.

June 13, 2020, 6:34 PM

For a park that will likely see 10 million visitors this year even with everything that's going on, it will take a lot more than 25,000 petitioners to convince Disneyland to remain closed, especially when doing so puts them in jeopardy of never reopening. The reality is that COVID-19 is going to be with us for the foreseeable future, and even if a vaccine or treatment lessens the impact it is not going away. We're at the point where we need to start making choices between adapting to operate in a post-COVID world and eliminating something permanently, because waiting and hoping is not going to make things better. I feel sorry for those who are afraid to do the things they enjoy due to the virus, but for those who are willing to accept the risk, I'm not sure we should continue to tell them they can't. In some cases, doing something that may be more risky to your physical health is actually better for your overall health, and I'm honestly more worried about an epidemic of depression and suicide at this point than a COVID spike.

June 13, 2020, 8:58 PM

I agree with AJ. I think he brought up some good points. I honestly don't see Disney pushing back the opening date unless a big spike of cases go up from the protests. Also, did anyone see the opening of Sea World Orlando? There's no way Disney can open like that. I think Universal is doing a good job rn but like @Spaceman said, it takes a while for people to notice they have Corona so we'll just have to see what'll happen.

June 14, 2020, 5:38 AM

@SpacemanSpiff: One of the reasons to wear a mask is, in the event that the person wearing the mask coughs or sneezes, the projected fluids do not reach other people. I am not saying the masks protect people in all scenarios. I'm saying if those who were not wearing the masks properly are not coughing and sneezing the risk to others is negligible.

June 14, 2020, 11:01 AM

@TH Creative: From the CDC:

"We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms. This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms. In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission."

www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

June 14, 2020, 2:54 PM

Spaceboy writes "This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity ..."

I respond: So without masks social distancing works. With masks and social distancing works even better.

Great news!

NEXT!

June 14, 2020, 5:51 PM

TH: When you no longer want to have a civil discussion with someone, you make fun of their username. Really mature.

Have you been to the supermarket, bank, post office, etc., recently? Did you find that it was easy to maintain a 6 foot distance from everyone in an indoor space?
If so, you're lucky, because it's not like that where I live or, I'd guess, for most everyone trying to practice physical distancing.

The largest reason to wear a mask or facial covering is not to protect yourself, but other people since no one can be sure if they have been exposed but are not showing symptoms.

The latest studies have shown that 56% of coronavirus transmission occurred before symptoms appeared or on the first day of symptoms. Someone coughing or sneezing means little as far as whether they might be carrying the coronavirus and are infectious.

June 14, 2020, 6:00 PM

Space Case writes: "The largest reason to wear a mask or facial covering is not to protect yourself, but other people ..."

I Respond: Yes, in the event you sneeze or cough ... Which begs the question: Of those people who "are not wearing masks or not wearing them properly," how many are coughing or sneezing?"

June 21, 2020, 4:06 PM

The issue with AJs argument is that the people walking around with no masks on are not necessarily the ones taking the risk. Young, fit people agree generally at low risk of significant illness from COVID. It's there parents, elderly neighbours, supermarket staff and everyone else they encounter that are then put at risk. This is a community disease, and it is stamped out by the community. We all take the burden to protect everyone else.

The idea that we ignore the disease and the economy will be ok is crap. Look at Sweden, their economy is just as bad as the rest of Europe. The result of ignoring this is simply more dead people.

Even if that's the strategy people want too take, this needs to be something communicated with appropriately amongst leaders and the community. Sweden went down that path, but it was a conscious decision. The US needs effective leadership to discuss this, acknowledging the death count that will result.

As it is, most of America has half-assed isolation, only slowing the spread a little before reopening. And now you're in a position of rampant spread across the majority of the country.

If you think it's ok to reopen, is ok for you to "take the risk". Acknowledge the fact that you're going too have hundreds of thousands of people dead that could have been avoided.

Am I holding out how for a vaccine in this assessment. Partly. A vaccine by early next year is highly likely. But the way things are going in the US, the pandemic will bring your hospitals and economy to a stand still anyway. Europe has effectively slowed the spread, allowing them too slowly, safely reopen. Amongst developed nations, the US is almost unique in is inability to manage this pandemic. Is not a time to be going to theme parks.

Stay safe people.

June 21, 2020, 6:43 PM

Grant writes: "Acknowledge the fact that you're going too have hundreds of thousands of people dead that could have been avoided."

I Respond: I'll take "Massive Statistical Exaggerations" for $1000, Alex.

June 21, 2020, 7:04 PM

TH. Over 120k people are dead already by conservative assessments. The numbers are increasing currently and the numbers reflect what was happening 2-3 weeks ago. I'm not going to be far off the mark.

Make fun of it if you like, I personally don't find much humour in anything happening in the US currently. Maybe because the people dying are predominantly old, poor or black it doesn't seem to affect you.

June 22, 2020, 3:49 AM

Oh please! You're claiming that because DLR is opening "hundreds of thousands" are going to die. That's just ludicrous.

I concur that people should act with great caution. I take issue with people overstating the risks associated with others not wearing masks -- especially if those people are not coughing or sneezing and are practicing social distancing.

I have posted that the parks are taking a terrible risk by re-opening. And I have no doubt some people who visit will test positive. But "hundreds of thousands"?!

NEXT!

Edited: June 22, 2020, 4:20 AM

When I said "If you think it's ok to reopen", I'm not specifically talking about theme parks, I never even mentioned theme parks. Of course theme parks on their own wouldn't cause that much, I never even implied that. I'm talking generically about reopening everything, as is being openly advocated by many in America. The idea of parks being reopened in the US safely as the pandemic stands is fantasy.

June 22, 2020, 4:48 AM

Gee See: "When I said "If you think it's ok to reopen", I'm not specifically talking about theme parks."

I Respond: The thread's topic is about a theme park re-opening. And it's published on a theme park site. Try and post more carefully next time. Thank you.

(Chuckle)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive