Sea World makes major cuts to operations

September 9, 2020, 9:52 AM

It appears SWO has made major cuts, quite possibly the most dramatic i've ever seen of any major park. On weekdays it appears that Kraken and Journey to Atlantis will be closed with other coasters operating from noon to 5, with some other attractions only operating for a few hours. Also one show each of the whale, dolphin, and sea lions.

Replies (2)

September 9, 2020, 10:16 AM

While I understand SWO isn't getting its high spending international tourists and having to rely entirely on deal seekers, for a park that is trying to market itself as a place for rides, at a park that doesn't have many rides to begin with, closing two of the major e-ticket rides for no other reason than budget seems short-sighted to me. I think the constant layoffs and shady tactics behind how they have been dealing with their employees the past 10 years or so, combined now with things like this, is causing a lot of resentment amongst locals and fans. Which is not good because the company was already having a PR crisis to begin with and needed all the fans they could get.

I'm not saying they're going out of business or anything but i've seen this play out before where a park operator builds lots of new rides to sell season passes and stops caring about everything else and am not a fan of that kind of strategy.

September 9, 2020, 11:51 AM

There's this rumor going around with Team Members at Universal that the parks might be closing during the week during the upcoming "off season" and operate as more of a seasonal park with the weekends open. I wonder if the higher ups at Sea World looked at that kind of alternative and decided that that wasn't financially better than cutting expenses even more/cutting park experiences. Personally I'd rather carve out time to go on a weekend to SWO with all experiences open than go anytime during the week and not be able to ride the attractions. SWO's lineup is pretty great but it's already so small, so making it even smaller doesn't sound like a good idea.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive