Dark Side of Amusement Parks

October 7, 2020, 2:10 PM

I recently came across this article about a theme park called "Honkytown" (https://statorec.com/secret-theme-park-discovered-white-people-go-act-racist/) although i'm not certain that it ever really existed. But it got me interested in theme parks with a dark past or outdated culture (whether that be in the attractions themselves or maybe a toxic employee workplace) that were kind of lost to time, kind of how Splash Mountain may be viewed in the future. Does anyone know of any other parks like this that aren't talked about much or were too small and independent of a park to be in the public eye?

Replies (5)

October 7, 2020, 2:39 PM

I hate to be a content promotor, but I'd recommend watching Class Action Park on HBO Max. It's not great, but tells the story of a park very similar if not exactly like what you're asking for.

October 7, 2020, 3:23 PM

I had actually seen that recently and loved it! That was another thing that got me started thinking on the topic.

October 8, 2020, 3:30 PM

I would say that the Defunctland episode on Action Park is actually better than the HBO documentary and that's free on youtube

October 10, 2020, 11:42 AM

>> But it got me interested in theme parks with a dark past or outdated culture (whether that be in the attractions themselves or maybe a toxic employee workplace) that were kind of lost to time

At Blackpool Pleasure Beach, the Rivercaves is a good extant example. It was built in an era where international travel was not something the average person could do (no, not like today....) so it offered a trip around the world, through scenes inspired by people and places around the world.

Some of the characterisation is so.... unwoke no Prince could ever hope to wake it with a kiss.

November 29, 2020, 12:58 PM

The dark side of amusement parks,
is everywhere backstage :-)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive