Do you think Austin TX would be a good location to build a theme park in the near future?

Edited: October 9, 2020, 12:55 PM

I know Robert Niles did a article a few years ago talking about which amusement parks in North America could use a theme park and I remember Robert narrowing down a short list as to which theme parks could come to these North American I believe Roberts last two picks were Nashville and another city I can’t remember but what about Austin yes it’s definitely a popular music city just like Nashville with a booming economy and rapidly growing population which I understand could be as big as New York City one day I believe but Houston I know would most likely have a theme park before Austin I just think that the city could support a small to medium sized theme park maybe the music themed styled park for example one attraction could be a rock n roller coaster type like at Disney World since Austin is so big on music what do you think? If not maybe something else a movie styled theme park. I know they have like a Westworld experience somewhere in Austin how about a Westworld theme park???? I was wondering if someone could do a future article about this because I think it’s a great idea!

Replies (5)

October 9, 2020, 1:24 PM

Nope.

Austin already has two major theme parks within a 90-minute drive. Austin's population isn't even over 1 million yet, while Houston has over 2.25 million people with the closest major theme park over 3 hours away.

This premise was already discussed ad nauseum here...

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=2175

October 9, 2020, 3:34 PM

Oh I see sorry I just am looking at the economic growth and booming population which Austin Texas does have it is one of the fastest growing cities in the United States with a Kalahari indoor water park resort opening next month in nearby round rock, you have typhoon Texas a small water park, you have schlitterbahn now owned by Cedar fair one of the best water parks in the United States, so you really don’t think Austin is a good place to have a amusement park what about in the Austin suburbs maybe Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander, where lake Travis is, New Braunfels, etc.

October 9, 2020, 7:39 PM

I think Seattle deserves a park - growing city (Amazon, Microsoft, etc.) and the only "theme park" in the entire state of WA is Wild Waves... argh.

October 15, 2020, 1:39 PM

People often talk about which city needs a theme park but Seattle is one that actually shocks me doesn't have one already. I would think a major Six Flags park would have been there years ago. I know it has a reputation for being rainy but summer is mostly great weather. And England has shown people can adapt to theme parks and rain. With Portland and Vancouver being fairly close by, it seems it would have a huge base to draw from.

November 29, 2020, 1:26 PM

OK. As far as I know, both Austin and San Antonio have a much bigger tourist appeal then Houston. So, the "area" could be more attractive to establish a (real) theme park, then the more populated Houston.
The overall attraction/theme park "density" in Texas is amazing low. Except for water parks.
(I know we're spoiled in the BENELUX, with an attraction park, nearly every 50 km in average, all over...)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive