Godzilla in Universal Parks

January 29, 2021, 11:59 AM

I just saw the trailer for the Godzilla vs. King Kong movie that's hopefully coming out this summer, and it looks awesome! Lot's of roaring, fighting, and smashing - kind of like the fights over the TV set on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. (Boomers understand - one TV set) Anyway, why hasn't this franchise been put into a theme park yet? It's too good to waste.

Has anybody heard anything about the Godzilla franchise being used for a theme park attraction?

Replies (2)

January 29, 2021, 1:36 PM

Talk to Toho, who are notoriously tight in regards to licensing the Godzilla IP that they created and own, and are very litigious in protecting. It's very similar to the situation around Lord of the Rings.

January 29, 2021, 4:44 PM

I'm a huge fan of the old Godzilla movies (and for some reason my wife refuses to get me the full collection for my birthday or Christmas), but they are not exactly Oscar-worthy productions. The Tolkien books are literary masterpieces, and I can almost understand the reluctance of the Tolkien Estate to license them to theme parks, but Godzilla? C'mon, most of the time it was a stuntman in a lizard suit smashing scale model replicas of Tokyo or wrestling another stuntman in a different monster suit.

If Toho allowed that abomination of a Godzilla movie with Matthew Broderick to be filmed, then they can certainly license theme parks to make Godzilla attractions.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive