Old Favorites and Hidden Gems

February 10, 2021, 11:48 AM

Like a lot of people, my wife and I have pretty much stopped going to movies, restaurants, and theme parks over the past several months, and it looks like it may be a bit longer before we can get our COVID-19 vaccines and start enjoying our public activities again. So, we've hunkered down with the large screen TV we bought for each other for Christmas 2019 and watched a ton of movies while we wait out this pandemic.

During that time, we've watched a lot of old favorite movies and found a few hidden gems. I'd like to share a few of them with you all in hopes that you might not have seen them yet or haven't thought of re-watching them. In return, I hope that some of you have a few movie ideas that we haven't thought of yet because we're resorting to looking up the movies created by some of our favorite writers and directors to find things that we haven't seen.

Replies (17)

February 10, 2021, 11:53 AM

I'll start with a few old favorites:

The Godfather I
The Godfather II

Ok, The Godfather Part III is a money-grubbing abomination like a 1990s Michael Eisner Disney Park, but the first two are masterpieces. I've watched both of these movies more than once during the pandemic, and the character development and storylines are phenomenal.

February 10, 2021, 12:02 PM

A few hidden gems:

The Award Winner of Defiance Ohio
Not a great movie, but a feel-good movie based on a true story. Some of you woke people may choke on your soy-based meat substitute when you watch the gross chauvinism in this movie, but this is the world that our grandmothers lived in back in the 1940s and 1950s.

Argo
A great backstory of the rescue of some of the American Embassy personnel during the 1979 Iranian Revolution. Good acting and script and it's also based on a true story.

The Founder
I'm not sure if this is a hidden gem, but if you want a somewhat fictionalized story about Ray Kroc and the roots of the McDonalds fast food empire, this is a must see.

February 10, 2021, 2:23 PM

'Citizen Iger'

February 10, 2021, 3:17 PM

You mean the "Manchurian Candidate" Iger, don't you, THC?

February 10, 2021, 3:51 PM

'The Big Short'
'Margin Call'

February 15, 2021, 10:32 AM

Soylent Green

;)

February 15, 2021, 3:34 PM

Soylent Green - maybe there'a solution for all of those northeasterners moving to Florida. ;)

Edited: April 8, 2021, 5:46 PM

I just watched Sideways last night - a film from 2004 about two buddies drinking their way through California wine country, and it was absolutely hilarious. 

April 8, 2021, 9:29 PM

Sideways is one of those movies that seems to get better with time. Didn't like it all that much the first time I watched it, but the second viewing cracked me up. Quite a bit of subtle humor that I missed the first time.

April 10, 2021, 12:11 PM

Old: The Godfather Pt 2, Cuckoo’s Nest
Hidden: Adaptation, Marriage Story, Little Shop of Horrors, City of God (critically acclaimed, but I didn’t know about it for a while)

April 11, 2021, 11:21 AM

Thanks, RadiatorSprings! I'll have to check out the hidden gems you suggested. I've only seen Little Shop of Horrors. Don't know a thing about the others.

April 11, 2021, 11:24 AM

By the way, TH Creative suggested the Big Short and Margin Call earlier in the thread. Both are excellent movies and highlight some of the corruption in the financial industry that unfortunately affects us non-financial types just trying to make a living.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive