Disney's Shift to the Upper Class

Edited: August 8, 2021, 7:56 PM

15 euro fastpasses for one ride, 3000 dollar per night Hotels and an ever increasing price to visit disney parks.Just yesterday, Disney announced Its 2 day 'galactic starcruiser' experience will cost A very ample price of 6000 dollars. Sorry guys that was a typo, Oh wait no it wasnt. 6000 dollars For a 2 night stay. That is shocking. Only die hard starwars fans and the 1st class could afford this. Anyone bellow would feel inclined to spend a week at disney for that cost! Although star wars star cruiser looks like a technological innovation. Does that still mean Disney expects people to bunk out that huge sum of money fkr 2 days of fun? I really hope after a few years the price will die down. I also hope that disney builds more immersivw hotel but at a cheaper cost. Like I say in every one of my articles, I still love disney I'm just quite picky! What are your thoughts on this? :)

Replies (21)

August 6, 2021, 4:13 AM

I think I would rather watch a tour on YouTube than spend 6000 dollars to experience it first hand!

August 6, 2021, 4:13 AM

I think I would rather watch a tour on YouTube than spend 6000 dollars to experience it first hand!

Edited: August 6, 2021, 5:05 PM

Well we all love disney ( well a good porcentage ). This tendency for less people at the parks but spending more money per cápita is something we can see in all aspects of the entretaining industry. Look at movie theathers. People want to stay at Home? Lets entice them with plush Seats, beer delivered yo Your SEAT, pizza or gourmet choices.
I can buy myself a Porsche but instead go for the Toyota Corolla as I have to put My children trough school. Choices and priorities.
As long as the market pays high it makes perfect sense for them. Less people in the parks less employees to pay and train. Easier to use apps and automátic devices to buy services food or ride access. More money to be spend ln the parks with better profit and increase (rich ) client satisfaction. In the long run they want to be the premier vacation destination. Not what i can afford every year but thats thier goal. It's business. I can't blame them but in the long run lets see how the public react. Thats what drivers the market.

August 6, 2021, 5:07 PM

If this Star wars hotel is succesful universal is going with a weekend on hogwarts hotel or something like That. You can bet on that.

August 6, 2021, 10:09 PM

And the nominees for most cliche thread topic are ...

Edited: August 7, 2021, 1:33 AM

Oh god, not the big bully! We thought you were gone TH! Yes I also heard about the hogwarts night expereince! In more detail they were looking to have the bedrooms themed as the cubboard under the stairs and Harry's upstairs room (dudleys 2nd room). All quite exciting if you ask me!

August 7, 2021, 7:40 AM

The last time I was employed as a CM was 1986. I worked in Guest Relations at EPCOT. The one day ticket price was about twenty bucks.

And people would complain that price was too high.

Griping about how a Disney theme park experience is too expensive is cliche.

Edited: August 8, 2021, 2:01 AM

You will always unpick my articles and Comments! At least it keeps my on my feet!

August 8, 2021, 4:09 PM

TH Creative: Florida Project website shares clips of tickets from WDW over the decades.

I am old enough to remember a five-day park hopper with Pleasure Island/water parks included only cost under $200.

August 8, 2021, 11:43 PM

Anything to defend Disney, eh? No real insight or discussion of Walt's original vision, just call the post cliche. Can't even admit both resorts (Disney / Universal) will eventually cater only to wealthier families with lots of disposable income.

Then again, if you have to scrimp and save, cut every corner and economize just to visit these places, you should probably reconsider your priorities and take your children to see the natural wonders of this country or perhaps the Smithsonian.

August 9, 2021, 4:22 AM

Yes! The fact is Disney is a company and no matter what the prices are going to go up ad long as the consumers pay for it! I for sure won't but if wealthier people do they pay for disney tp keep running as a company. Its just sad that They care more about Keeping the company going and paying there employees then keeping the general public happy.

Edited: August 9, 2021, 6:57 AM

I have a bunch of family and friends who have been CMs for many years, so I sure hope they keep paying "there" employees.

Also, as a Floridian, everytime the theme parks increase prices I cross my fingers and hope the attendance numbers continue to be healthy. Tax revenue is generated as a percentage of the total paid. That means more funding for schools, environmental protection, law enforcement, healthcare and infrastructure.

August 9, 2021, 8:38 AM

@Themeparkmad - Aside from THC correcting your grammatical mistake, there's a huge problem with your last sentence

"Its just sad that They care more about Keeping the company going and paying there employees then keeping the general public happy."

Keeping the general public happy isn't their objective. Keeping their customers happy is what they're focusing on and judging by the packed parks, the blockbuster movies, the TV channels, and the online services, Disney is doing a fantastic job of making their customers happy.

Edited: August 9, 2021, 8:54 AM

Hello Themeparkmad !

The ONLY question that matters, is :
can everybody please re-evaluate the leisure opportunies OUT of the big multinational parks?
"Stop blinding yourself", I'dd say to tourists from all over.
Florida was known as a fantastic holiday paradise, already in the years before Disney landed there. And Disney landed there, right, because it allready was that holiday paradise. Disney company nowadays is not helping the state. They instead provoked very difficult situations in Florida, because the classic flood of road-trip vacations, cruising all over Florida for 1-2 weeks, got blindfolded when only one name started counting: "Orlando".
The (very old) Florida Attractions Association is struggling with artificial smiles, and cramped 'good news' (without showing the downward going statistics), to keep "Florida alife" (out of Orlando).

..///..
The History of the FAA
More than seventy years ago, several tourist attraction pioneers committed themselves to excellence in their industry and a premier experience for their guests. These Florida landmarks – which include Cypress Gardens, Monkey Jungle, Parrot Jungle, and Silver Springs – formally united in 1949 as a not-for-profit corporation in order to guarantee quality, fair pricing, and ethical operational practices. The Florida Attractions Association was born.
..///..
> NOTE especially : (Founding goal) ...in order to guarantee quality, fair pricing, and ethical operational practices...

August 9, 2021, 10:18 AM

Hear! Hear! I recommend the Morse Gallery or the Orlando Science Center. Or the dozens of parks and nature trails.

Edited: August 9, 2021, 12:37 PM

In my last comment I just noticed that it isn't the general public its there customers! Also In terms of streaming Disney is doing brilliantly! I own Disney plus and it Keeps pumping World class series and movies one after the other! I also have to agree With the fact that there's os kuch else to do in florida! While talking about this Subject to my family I Kept reassuring them that there were beautiful parks and nature trails as well as alot more to do than Disney and universal!

August 22, 2021, 8:58 PM

WDW is a world class resort that attracts guests from all over the world. It seems the market will bear the prices they charge for the experience. And none of us have any factual idea what the financial position of these guests are. So we can't judge. As for the Star Wars 'hotel', I believe it will sell out for months and maybe years in advance. It is something completely new: a 2 day immersive experience to play act in a Star Wars story. If you a Star Wars fan, and there are millions, who wouldn't want to do that? And pay top dollar for the experience? Enough to make it profitable. Heck, the whole premise of Westworld is based on this idea of immersive role play, not to mention computer gaming that does the same thing. Disney is bringing it to real life. It is a real innovation, and something that other content owners will develop for their own properties.

September 23, 2021, 2:17 AM

Yes! The fact is Disney is a company and no matter what the prices are going to go up ad long as the consumers pay for it! I for sure won't but if wealthier people do they pay for disney tp keep running as a company. Its just sad that They care more about Keeping the company going and paying there employees then keeping the general public happy.

September 24, 2021, 7:38 PM

@Awe3423: If they are not keeping the general public happy, why do the crowds keep showing up?

September 25, 2021, 9:58 AM

C'mon, THC, what crowds are you talking about? You know nobody is going to show up at Disney World over the Christmas break when the premium resorts are charging $700-$1000+ per night for a $200 a night hotel room. At those rates, there couldn't possibly be any crowds at Disney. Why I bet the place will be so empty that Victoria and Albert's will have walk-in tables available and offer senior discounts.

October 1, 2021, 7:55 AM

Yup, Disney is always our first choice, but now because of price i don't think so it would be affordable for all to go.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive