Highest Roller Coaster you have braved.

January 9, 2024, 3:47 PM

Tell me what the highest coaster you have been on.

I have been on 175-foot-high coaster. I have never been on anything like a top fuel dragster 400 ft hyper-coaster.

Not sure if I would enjoy 300 of 400 ft. Don’t get me wrong,
I love Hulk non-stop action and rides like Jurassic World VelociCoaster.

Replies (5)

January 10, 2024, 11:19 AM

You're probably not going to like my answer, but I've been on every roller coaster in North America topping 300' (and almost every one topping 200' too), which includes the 2 tallest coasters in the world (Kingda Ka and TTD).

I was pretty skeptical that there would be a big difference between hyper (+200 feet) and giga (+300 feet) coasters, but they are completely different animals. Also, I've noticed giga coasters tend to maximize the feeling/sense of speed versus hyper coasters, which tend to maximize airtime. The 3 >400' coasters (Superman Escape from Krypton, TTD, and KK) all use some type of launch to achieve their maximum height, so they're a very different experience from most 200+ foot tall coasters. I still think those 3 are a bit of a 1-trick pony, but they all do that trick extremely well.

January 11, 2024, 2:06 PM

I've been on the top 7 tallest (KDK, TTD, Red Force, STE, Fury, Steel Dragon). The next one (Leviathan) I have not been on as I haven't been to Canada's Wonderland since the year Behemoth opened. I have been on the next two MF and Intimidator 305, and the next tallest one i've been on after that is Shambahla.

Kingda Ka ironically enough is my least favorite of all of them because its too damn rough, which is sad because i've always found TTD to be pretty smooth. Even in 2005 the year KDK opened it was already rough.

Edited: January 11, 2024, 2:24 PM

For me personally it was Millennium Force at Cedar Point. It was a bone-chilling, freezing night on the lake in late November and I remember thinking that the lift hill took 30 minutes. It was terrifying coming from someone who’s only been used to smaller, more themed Orlando coasters. Of course once we that first drop all the freezing wind and uncertainty turned into a whipping frenzy of euphoria. Haven’t had the chance to ride a giga yet but I’d welcome it for sure.

January 11, 2024, 4:25 PM

Here's a more interesting statistic: the tallest existing coaster I have not ridden is Hyperion at Energylandia in Poland, which at 252 ft. is the 13th tallest in the world. Thanks to the amount of travel I've been able to do, I've managed to get on all 12 taller than that, but Poland has yet to be included in a trip (hopefully next time I visit Europe).

When it comes to height, I've personally found that once you get above 200 ft. it starts to make less of a difference just how high you are, as unless you have a point of reference it just feels "really high." Far more important is the style of ride, as that can vary quite a bit. For instance, Iron Gwazi, Mako, and SheiKra are all right around 200 ft. tall and offer very different ride experiences. Same deal at Cedar Point, where they've got five 200+ ft. coasters (Magnum XL-200, Millennium Force, Steel Vengeance, Top Thrill 2, Valravn), but all are so radically different from each other height isn't really the reason to pick one over another. I'd definitely suggest trying some taller rides next time you're at a park that offers them. However, with increased height comes increased speed, so you're more likely to get longer drawn out elements than the non-stop inversions which may or may not be as much to your liking.

January 11, 2024, 5:02 PM

Kingda Ka for me and I was pretty nervous but was amazing! :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive