Rumors about a Pokemon Attraction coming to Universal Japan and Florida

January 16, 2024, 9:00 PM

I'm sure some of you have heard the rumors by now that a Pokemon ride may replace The Simpsons Ride at Universal Studios Florida and Hollywood. It is a likely contender to replace the Spider-Man ride at Universal Studios Japan, which closes this month. I want to know, what are your thoughts on this?

While I honestly didn't love The Simpsons Ride, I really liked the Springfield USA a lot. Pokemon is long overdue to get a theme park attraction just like Nintendo was. But I would be saddened to see the Springfield replaced with a Pokemon themed land.

Replies (6)

Edited: January 17, 2024, 8:05 AM

I think reskinning an outdated ride system for what would be a third different IP would be a huge mistake. I do think the BTTF/Simpsons Ride system is pretty clever for what is ultimately a pretty compact footprint, but the logistics to obtain optimal throughput are complicated. I think the system might work for Pokemon, but without some major upgrades/advances (like AR/VR), the resulting attraction may feel very antiquated for an IP that has pushed the technical envelope.

Also, I think trying to smash Pokemon into Springfield in Orlando would feel weird juxtaposed between Dreamworks and Men in Black. While UC does have some room to work with, I'm not sure the IP would really work in that spot. If they had gone with the old rumors of replacing KidZone with Nintendo, you could probably extend into Springfield with a Pokemon attraction, but now that KidZone is switching to Dreamworks, I don't think Pokemor would work unless they're willing to tear Springfield completely down and create an entirely new attraction and ride system.

Additionally, I think the food in Springfield is going to be difficult to replace. If something is going to replace the Simpsons IP in USF, it's got to have a plenty to draw from to create new culinary options.

January 17, 2024, 6:59 PM

I think creating a Pokemon attraction to replace Spider-Man in Japan is likely, especially since Pokemon characters are already in use at the park. Whether it's a simple changeover using the same hardware or a complete ride system replacement I can't say, but either way they've got a pretty decent building to work with. If they wanted to do a full Pokemon land, they could also potentially put additional attractions in the former Terminator building nearby and make a little Pokemon plaza back there. That said, Universal may opt not to invest in such as they likely would not be able to secure exclusive use of Pokemon due to how prevalent it is in the country (similar to the sort of hurdle Universal likely faces with Wizarding World in the UK).

My understanding is that there are still rights issues that need to be settled before Pokemon can come to the US parks, but provided those can be resolved I do think replacing Springfield with Pokemon in Florida would be a good move. As nice as Springfield is, Simpsons just isn't that strong of a franchise anymore (especially compared to something like Pokemon), and if Universal wants Nintendo in all three parks that's their best franchise to use here. However, it would need to be a full replacement with a new dark ride, not just a reskin of Simpsons, and would need to be fully interactive in order to capture the Pokemon experience. The area is long and narrow, which could work well if it were themed to a town and adjacent route, and if they wanted a second sizable attraction the Animal Actors building could be absorbed for space. The biggest con is that the area is a thoroughfare, so having something that encourages lots of guests to crowd the walkway rather than moving on might not work unless a bypass were built.

In California, however, I don't think Pokemon is the right choice for a Simpsons/Springfield replacement. Unlike in Florida, California's version of the land is tiny and is a hub that must be passed through to access the Lower Lot or the Studio Tour, so it's not a good place for an immersive themed land. A better spot to do Pokemon in California would be as a Waterworld replacement, as it's out of the way from main thoroughfares and could connect to the back of Hogsmeade to prevent it from being a dead-end area. Personally, though, I think Super Nintendo World provides enough Nintendo representation for a park the size of USH, and I'd rather see Universal invest in some of their unrepresented properties before bringing in more outside IP.

January 18, 2024, 12:49 PM

Whatever they do to replace Springfield and Simpsons ride needs to be completely demolished and re-built. That ride building is too old now and I really hope they don't re-skin again.

Edited: January 19, 2024, 8:04 AM

If Comcast (Brian L. Roberts CEO - $32 million [2022)] shuts down/replaces The Simpsons/Springfield thing (replacement by 2027), leaves the 'Fear Factor' theater empty and keeps 'Fast & Furious Supercharged' open, there's gonna be a sizable percentage theme park dead zone at USF for the next three or four years.

Edited: March 12, 2024, 4:07 AM

Exciting news for theme park enthusiasts! Universal Studios Japan and Universal Studios Florida are set to unveil a thrilling new attraction. Stay tuned for more updates and get ready for an unforgettable adventure! Hope I can visit it someday!

You can check also about chimney repair springfield pa

Edited: April 9, 2024, 10:29 PM

That is very interesting! Based on my understanding, it may be challenging to implement the IP in that particular spot. If they had considered the previous rumors of replacing KidZone with Nintendo, it would have been feasible to expand into Springfield with a Pokemon attraction. However, since KidZone is now transforming into Dreamworks, it appears unlikely that Pokemon would be a suitable fit on how to get more customer, unless they are willing to demolish Springfield and construct an entirely new attraction and ride system.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive