Great theme park restaurant setting with bad food?

February 1, 2024, 10:46 AM

Just an offbeat but anyone have a theme park eatery where the setting/theme is great but the food is...well, not?

I love Epcot's San Angel Inn at Mexico pavilion's look. The indoor setting, set by the river ride, the mood, all of it....and yet also burned my tongue on a taco and not much better in other treats there.

Just curious if others feel the same way on a spot they love to look at but not actually the food there.

Replies (15)

February 1, 2024, 11:48 AM

Anywhere around World Showcase really.

February 1, 2024, 12:10 PM

Well, le Cellair has some of the best steaks I've ever eaten and enjoyed Rose & Crown.

February 1, 2024, 12:13 PM

Lamplight Lounge (DCA) - The inside is well done, and the exterior terrace has an excellent view of the lagoon. However, the food is incredibly overpriced and mediocre at best. Maybe we caught it in an off day, but I was definitely not impressed when we ate here in summer 2019. It is probably near the bottom of worst in-park table service experiences I've ever had.

Be Our Guest (MK) - There isn't necessarily anything wrong with eating here, it's just not all it's cracked up to be. The dining room is straight out of the movies, and the service style is definitely efficient. However, the whole process of eating here and the hybrid CS/TS experience is off-putting for food that is pretty good by counter service standards, but below par by table service standards.

February 1, 2024, 12:52 PM

I would say any of the Harry Potter restaurants. The theming is some of the best and if possible we try to grab a butterbeer and enjoy our drink but its typically too busy. We don't like the food at all and it might just be a taste thing since most other people seem to enjoy.

I can't wait for the French theme HP restaurant at Epic. The menu there will probably be more our taste :)

February 1, 2024, 8:36 PM

I've always thought Chef Mickey's had to be a troll on the people who go to Disney World. I think they look at the customers as a psychology experiment: "how much can we possibly get these people to pay for the worst food possible?" I always see big families in there and can't help but think OMG that family is paying over $500 for a meal that is infinitely worse than Golden Corral.

February 2, 2024, 10:19 AM

Tony's Town Square Restaurant at WDW - It is lovely inside and themed quite well.

The food?? You can simulate it at home. Take Playdough and cut it into strips. Open a bottle of ketchup and add 50% water to it. Pour watered-down ketchup over the Playdough and consume.

February 3, 2024, 7:49 AM

I second MikeW. Epcot's San Angel Inn is my beautifully-themed restaurant where the food is terrible. My son and I couldn't eat any of it. Even the water tasted like it came straight from the Three Caballeros boat ride.

I don't mind the food at IOA's Three Broomsticks or UO's Leaky Cauldron. They are inside theme parks so I don't expect much. Finnigan's Irish Pub is much better if you like UK cuisine.

February 19, 2024, 6:52 AM

I find all the Universal restaurants fairly underwhelming. The burger in Moe’s Tavern was one of the worst I have ever had. With the exception of the Mexican restaurants at EPCOT, I find them all to be fairly good and lots of fun. I love the setting in Mexico, but the food always has been a let down.

February 19, 2024, 6:50 PM

Y'all are tripping regarding San Angel. I've had very good food there on multiple occasions. The "underwater" restaurant at EPCOT, on the other hand, is just okay despite its very pleasant setting.

February 20, 2024, 2:14 AM

I do believe I will give it another shot. However, we have somewhat developed a tradition of eating at the German beer hall every visit and we really miss the Moroccan table service.

Edited: February 20, 2024, 9:39 AM

I agree that Restaurant Marrakesh was the hidden gam of EPOCT, and was one of the few table service restaurants where you could regularly walk up and be seated within 15-20 minutes without an ADR. The menu had become a bit ubiquitous and antiquated (and perhaps a bit stereotypical with the belly-dancing performances), but I think there was still potential in the space before Spice Road Table made it redundant.

San Angel Inn is not terrible, but the food has never lived up to the quality of the dining space. Again, I think this restaurant suffers from an antiquated menu that is stuck in the ChiChi's era of Mexican dining. The Cantina San Angel, across the main path from the temple is a much better example of modern Mexican cuisine. The problem is that San Angel's aesthetic harkens back to the past , which creates a conundrum for chefs trying to meet guest expectations while not duplicating what the adjacent cantina provides.

For my money, LeCava is the best of both words (excellent dining space with a more modern twist to the menu), but it is small and has a pretty limited menu since the focus is on their massive tequila collection.

February 24, 2024, 4:11 PM

For me it's Captain Jack's at Disneyland Paris. The atmosphere is great, the food was very "meh". Especially for the price.

March 12, 2024, 5:13 PM

Cosmic Ray's at Disney World I guess?

Really mediocre food, but I'm a sucker for animatronic shows while dining.

March 13, 2024, 9:31 AM

I find just the opposite at The Turf Club. The setting is dark and unimaginative, yet the food is incredible and the service can't be matched. It's a must do every time I'm in Orlando. . . But the restaurant itself is depressing and uninspired.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive