Smells of a Theme Park..

March 16, 2024, 12:11 PM

We try to hit Olando Once per year and we stay at a Sheraton Vistana Resort. As we start our vacation while checking in at the front desk, the first thing we notice is the aroma. It always has a lovely pina colada scent, and we are reminded where we are and what we are doing.

Theme parks have different smells than most other places on earth.

You walk in, notice the smell of churros treats or Turkey legs glisten the air. Maybe you smell the grease and grinding of metal gears or the soft chlorine misting about.

These are called triggers (as I am sure you are aware) that bring you brain to vacation mode.

I think Disney pumps Money smells to remind you to spend more… hahaahaaha

Your assignment is to tell us what smells trigger you when you go to your favorite parks…

Replies (3)

March 16, 2024, 7:38 PM

Oddly at Disneyland trip, the moment that truly hit me was first time on Pirates as the water of a Disney boat ride is truly unique.

Edited: March 17, 2024, 12:00 PM

Love the old engine oil smell on Big Thunder Mountain, the wafting aromas of popcorn, and the tortilla scent that they pump into the Mexican temple at Epcot. Love the orange zest scent on the OG version of Soarin’ and Horizons and the “burning” smell of the Dark Ages scene on Spaceship Earth. The original Kong ride at UO had a certain smell to the subway queue and exit areas too that I miss.

March 21, 2024, 12:24 PM

A few months back I was talking to a colleague and we agreed that places should get more into immersion through scents.

For me? I mean you can't beat the smell of the water at Disneyland. But I also love the distant smell of sunscreen that you can smell at most parks in the summer. I love theme park smells. Who knows what the combo is (sugar, sunscreen, and oil?) but something just feels overwhlemingly comforting to me. Theme parks are just happy spaces.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive