Malestrom Doors Being Painted?!

September 27, 2014, 4:29 PM

https://twitter.com/AllEarsDeb/status/512615551081136129/photo/1

The ride is closing in about a week. Why would they be painting the doors? The one thing that dies make me a bit concerned it that Disney may already be starting the switch over to Frozen by changing the little things that don't really effect Maelstrom. Wheat worries me about that is that if they cant wait a week to start what are the odds we get a cheap overlay of a ride?

Replies (6)

September 27, 2014, 6:49 PM

Well, love is an open door....

I honestly believe they are just going to put Frozen characters in the already existing attraction. They really do not have the space to build anything else.

September 28, 2014, 10:45 AM

What if starting work early gives them more time to do better than just a cheap overlay? Just looking at it from the flip side.

October 6, 2014, 2:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JBje0d5u2Y

Here is a video of the Maelstrom boats being taken away after closing yesterday. I wonder how much progress has really been made?

October 12, 2014, 4:17 PM

I hope they are just updating the boats. I do not see how they could make this attraction anything but the log fume it currently is.

October 13, 2014, 7:13 AM

With the popularity of Frozen and the lines its sure to bring, (I just realized this yesterday) they are going to need to expand the queue because Maelstroms' was way to small. It could barely handle a 20 min wait inside the queue. Not to mention the small footprint they already have to work with.

Edited: October 13, 2014, 2:45 PM

Rumor has it that they will swap the exit and entrance doors. My guess is the new entrance is the current exit where they are showing the travel video. Since hardly anyone stays to watch that video, obviously using that space as the queue line makes sense.

Swapping the exit for the entrance gives the ride more "show" space. The ride become longer in the passage way that was wasted from the current exit to entrance section. This means the exit must serve as both the entrance and exit combined.

I would guess the painting of the doors is required to make it less like an entrance. Guests would no longer enter from the doors. With Frozen, the ride will need the queue to hold hour long standby lines. Or maybe they will have FastPass+ only.

Your premise is that if they are willing to start early, the overlay will be cheap. There is no proof of that. Getting a late start means they will delay the project. That isn't any better.

It seems like they will just do an overlay. No changes to the existing layout. The only thing to make it seem cheap is the ride itself. Maelstorm was always a short and disappointing ride. It was barely 2 minutes long and rather forgettable. You spend more time waiting to exit the ride than the ride itself.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive