How about renaming Disney's California Adventure

March 14, 2015, 12:45 PM

In my first ever visit to the Disneyland Resort last month, I noticed a disparity between the front half and back half of DCA. The front half of DCA is so well done thanks to the $1 billion overhaul. The back half felt like Six Flags. Another billion dollars and a name change to Walt Disney Studios, a Walt original idea before Disneyland took shape, would open up the possibilities of future lands and attractions and still fit the theme of a great front half of the park. Another name change please! So Walt Disney Studios Paris, Orlando, AND Anaheim to go along with Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai, and the original in Anaheim.

Replies (17)

March 14, 2015, 1:01 PM

This park just had a name change a few years ago. It's no longer "Disney's California Adventure" it's "Disney California Adventure." No "apostrophe s" any longer.

My question to you is where does the front half of the park end and the back half begin?

March 14, 2015, 1:49 PM

What I find most interesting about this statement is that Paradise Pier (which I assume is what you mean by "the back half") is one of the areas that got the most work during the refurbishment. The area is themed to a seaside amusement park of the 1920s and lacks the immersive aspect of the rest of the districts, but it certainly is a lot better now than it used to be (pre-2008, the only reason to go back there was to ride California Screamin'). I don't think the area has any business being present in a Disney park, but if they have to have it I'll take what they've got now. I'm actually the opposite of you in that I think the back portions of the park are fine, but the front (namely Hollywood Land, since Condor Flats has been redone) needs work. However, the park doesn't need a billion dollars of improvement and another complete refurbishment...about $400 million to add a Marvel Land and redo a couple other attractions would be sufficient.

As far as a name change, I doubt it would ever happen. The park is too well known as California Adventure and the Walt Disney Studios name wouldn't really fit the park, as that's not really the overall theme.

March 14, 2015, 4:53 PM

I think the best way to simplify the name is eliminate California and just call it Disney Adventure with Disneyland on the north.

March 14, 2015, 8:09 PM

Disney's California Adventures was shortened to simply "Disney" as part of a brand shift company wide. The park was and still is themed to the entire state of California, not just Hollywood. While there is some overlap in theme to Hollywood Studios it's not the same, so the name shouldn't be the same either. DCA is a great name and if they were going to change it they would of done so when they rededicated it 2012.

Edited: March 15, 2015, 8:36 AM

How would a Marvel land fit into the theme of DCA? I understand how a Marvel land would fit into the theme of a Walt Disney Studios.

Edited: March 15, 2015, 8:44 AM

Paradise Pier and Pacific Wharf are pretty bad and useless inside what should be considered a quality Disney park. Where's the immersion evident in Buena Vista Street and Cars Land? This park needs more help and a name change could open up endless possibilities. In all honesty a California themed park sucks and does not honor the legacy of Walt Disney enough.

March 15, 2015, 8:54 AM

All the current lands in DCA can fit into a Walt Disney Studios theme except for Paradise Pier and Pacific Wharf. Condor Flats represents Disney's Nature Films that Walt loved so much. Change a couple of lands with a park name change and Walt Disney Studios Anahiem would be the perfect compliment to Disneyland.

March 15, 2015, 9:51 PM

It's not happening. Disney's putting most of their thought and money into Disney World. There will be more changes at DCA but it's not getting another major overhaul or a name change. My guess is Marvelland will be at Disneyland. In case you haven't noticed, the park is a throwback to California of the first half of the 20th century, the California Walt knew.

Eliminating the California part of the name might not be a bad idea though.

Edited: March 15, 2015, 11:54 PM

Keith, your idea has a lot of merit and is how the park should originally have been built. Unfortunately, what you would like to happen has next to no chance of happening at the current time. DCA's attendance today has increased more than 50% of what it was in 2008 (when the refurbishment was just beginning), but to get it there cost nearly twice what the park originally cost to build. Cars Land is probably the most immersive land Disney has created to date (at least in North America), but that area alone was about half a billion dollars. That is what it would take to get the park to the state you describe, and there are at least three Disney parks (two in North America and one in Europe) that would benefit more from that kind of money than DCA would. It's fun to dream, and I'm sure the park will continue to change, but I've got a feeling that whatever is there now probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

As for Marvel Land, the most popular idea I've heard is that it would take over a portion of Hollywood Land as well as the backstage area behind the Hyperion Theater and Tower of Terror. My thinking is that Monsters Inc. and the areas currently being used for Frozen would be redone, with a new E-ticket attraction (most likely a thrill ride) added in the current backstage area. As to how it fits, well...Tony Stark does live in California after all, and the modern world settings of the films are a better fit for DCA than Disneyland. It's a pretty weak justification, but the reasoning behind putting A Bug's Land and Cars Land into DCA are not that strong either (neither movie really has much to do with California). Personally I'd like to see a full Marvel Land added to DCA with a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction in Disneyland. While they could do it, I don't think it would be the greatest idea to put both Star Wars Land and Marvel Land in the same park, and Star Wars Land is probably the better fit of the two for Disneyland.

March 16, 2015, 7:28 AM

I actually like the back half. Especially the food area, you're not crowded in. I will agree I'm not a fan of the back part of the lake. Only good thing back there is TSMM and Screamin'. The rest felt kind of out of place and poorly used.

March 16, 2015, 8:58 AM

AJ, I think are thoughts on DCA are very similar. While DCA is more than just a park themed to early to mid 20th century California, I think that is now the overall theme of the park. Cars Land fits this theme somewhat, as California was the major route to L.A. during that time. Maybe they should move the entrance of the park to Cars Land! (no seriousness to that last sentence) A Bug's Land was built not long after the park opened as a quick fix to add children's attractions, it didn't meet the theme but that's because they weren't trying to. DCA isn't getting major changes for awhile, just general improvements and the occasional new attraction every now and then.

Where Marvel will go is just speculation, but the World of Marvel is fantasy, so I think it would fit well in Disneyland. The Imagineers have probably debated this question as well. We will just have to wait and see what happens, but chances are, it will turn out great wherever it ends up.

March 16, 2015, 9:42 AM

I imagine that after Grizzly Peak Airfield completes its renovation, the Hollywood section will get the next update to DCA. They have yet to update the Hyperion Theater with an indoor lobby. The backlot facades should be updated to remove the studios conceit. Add a new E-Ticket in the space. I predict the Frozen Singalong will remain. Why would they want to close the Frozen Singalong right when "Frozen Fever" opened in theaters and "Frozen 2" was announced. "Let It Go" won't go away. I'll make a far-fetched prediction. "Let It Go" will be reprised in "Frozen 2" with new lyrics.

The third theme park is still a distant concept, but I guess that Disney won't consider it unless they can goose up DCA's attendance to match Disneyland. They can do this quite easily, but it still requires big investment. Marvel, Frozen, or Star Wars can fill the two spaces in Hollywood Backlot and the undeveloped south-east section.

Cars Land really isn't about California. It looks like Arizona. This is merely a minor complaint. Anyways, DCA is as much about California as anything else.

Edited: March 16, 2015, 1:48 PM

California is a bad theme for a Disney theme park. A theme park based around Disney's best IPs would be a sure fire hit! Changing the name of the park will simply change the theme of the park without affecting anything except ease of expansion. Marvel Land, Star Wars Land, Tron Land, Pirates Land, live action Disney remakes of animated classics, more Pixar IPs and Disney animation IPs all can share space in a Walt Disney Studios theme park, hold a cohesive theme, and expand upon the BILLIONS of dollars of box office success.

March 16, 2015, 1:55 PM

Cars Land (or Radiator Springs) is located on Route 66, which travels through California. And although, technically, it's more or less "Arizona", the southwestern vibe does still fit in DCA.

March 17, 2015, 7:06 PM

If you are going to rename California Adventure, don't use studio in the name, especially considering there is only one part that is themed to a studio. A better rename would be Disney's nostalgialand, concidering it's based off of California in the time Walt grew up in.

March 17, 2015, 7:29 PM

Disney's California Cash-In?

March 18, 2015, 4:06 PM

Disney's Cornucopia of California Crap

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive