With Jurassic World Coming, Should There be a New or Updated Attraction?

Edited: May 17, 2015, 11:23 AM

So I was thinking Jurassic World Coming out June 12th. I feel like Universal should do some serious consideration on upgrading that area of the park. I think we can all agree it's long over due, and it's such a major attraction at the park especially because of its success and fan base. I think the river adventure could have be a lot better and plenty of room for improvement and given all the space the park has they can actually make another ride entirely. Maybe one that's based off the idea of InGen believes they finally got it right and Jurassic Park can finally live to see the day and that John Hammond's dream can go on. The ride could start with the guest going on a tour in a new and improved military four wheeler armored SUV that can up to like 8 people at a time as the tour goes on something goes terribly wrong and the Tourist Guide gets eaten so the trainer played by Chris Pratt has to get the tourist to safety. I don't know it's just an idea what's your thoughts?

Replies (20)

May 17, 2015, 9:46 AM

They will have a new show/attraction using the raptor from the JW movie, using the front of the former Trike Encounter, ready in a few weeks.. I believe it will be on the order of the Singapore park attraction. Looks like a lot of fun. The vast remainder of the Trike area will remain unused, so perhaps an attraction in the future in that space, especially if the movie does good numbers....There'a a lot on Universal's plate right now. They can only do so much at a time.

Edited: May 17, 2015, 11:26 AM

They ARE using the "SUV" ride you suggested for a new attraction in Jurassic Park. It's the new Kong ride. It's always been suggested to have that type ride vehicle for a new Jurassic Park attraction with the T-Rex chase scene from the first movie way back since the park opened as a future expansion. The idea came back to life for the King Kong attraction. An update to the River Adventure would be great though.

May 17, 2015, 3:14 PM

I am not sure how they will address the new movie and the possible renovation of the Jurassic Park attraction. I do think it is an opportunity to take advantage of a new generation of interest and really spruce that area up. I think the bones of the attraction are still valuable, so I don't imagine it's necessary to completely overhaul the ride. Maybe along the lines of what Spiderman got in its screens, but for the animatronics? Who knows.

Edited: May 17, 2015, 7:00 PM

The new Jurassic Park movie looks like a reboot. Nothing new, but everything amped up. I can't think of any new rides, but they should remake the existing ride.

May 18, 2015, 4:33 AM

The director said it's not a "reboot" that's a new trilogy that will go in a new direction, but I see what your saying because the previous 3 movies seemed to be a story that repeats it's self. Yes, definitely some upgrades, and I really do think Universal can be creative and come up with an idea for a new ride.

May 18, 2015, 2:17 PM

They should remake the movies to be more closer to the source material. I read The Lost World book (Jurassic Park book 2), which I thought was an excellent story. Unfortunately, they botched up the adaption on the screen. It didn't resemble anything in the book and all suspense was omitted. The sequel had a different tone than the first movie. They decided to make it all the same and it didn't work. Going in a new direction should mean going back to what's great about the books.

May 18, 2015, 3:27 PM

Agree with you on the sequel. Hopefully, the new film will represent the work better.

Edited: May 18, 2015, 3:45 PM

I think whether or not an overhaul of Jurassic Park happens depends on two factors: How well Jurassic World does and whether or not Marvel will be remaining at Islands of Adventure. If Jurassic World does well enough to get the entire second trilogy made and there is no rush to get rid of Marvel, I would not be at all surprised if an overhaul of Jurassic Park is the next major project for IOA after King Kong, likely with a 2018/2019 completion timeframe. While I have no idea what would actually happen, I'd think upgrading everything there now (including possibly replacing Pteranodon Flyers with the Canopy Flyer from USS) and adding one or two new rides as well as a show would be the probable scale of the project. However, if Jurassic World ends up being poorly received or Disney buys the Marvel rights from Universal, there are likely other projects that take precedence.

Edited: May 19, 2015, 5:23 AM

Exactly! but there has to be something they can do beyond just a river ride.

May 19, 2015, 5:22 AM

I honestly don't think that Marvel is going to pull out of their universal contract it has been doing great for so many years it wouldn't make sense to kill a good partnership. However, whether or not Disney, Marvel, and Universal can come up with a way for both parks to use some Marvel characters and make everybody happy is yet to be determined. Don't be quick to bypass that from happening because it really can happen look at what Sony did with Marvel things might be looking up, so hopefully we will see a possible Avengers ride someday. Like showbiz always says, "never say never"

May 19, 2015, 12:43 PM

How about replacing the huge dinosaur animatronic with jurrasic world's new indominus Rex?

May 20, 2015, 7:14 AM

That could work although I think they should update the other dinosaurs as well

May 21, 2015, 7:58 PM

Just saw some videos with looks through the foliage of IOA practicing/training the raptor for the new raptor show. From the short clips of what I can see & hear, this is going to be an awesome show. The raptor appears a few steps up from the one in the Singapore show. Reportedly, nothing is showing to give away the realism. Like Transformers, these puppet suits supposedly costs a small fortune ($200,00 upwards according to insiders)and look like advanced AA's but with more movement. The show's supposed to open very soon. This will definitely be a hit.

May 22, 2015, 11:57 AM

The new Velocirapter encounter has soft opened today, May 22. Several short videos are on twitter already. Guess what? No screens, all animatronics!!! Outside with big photo op ability.

May 22, 2015, 4:19 PM

Tony: Actually, it's not an animatronic. It's a very advanced puppet suit with an operator inside. It's on the order of the Transformers, only more advanced. The company that did it has been working on that suit for 6 years. It's so realistic, it's movements & roars, that it looks like the real thing.

May 23, 2015, 12:18 PM

Wow, didn't think they would use a costumed team member. Not after Disney's ridiculous show last year. I heard the bottom of the pen looked "funny" and now I know why. Need maneuvering room.

May 23, 2015, 12:38 PM

This is a huge upgrade over the one used at Disney. Night & day difference.Those were basically costumes while these are very expensive (over $200,000 each)puppets manipulated by controls from the suit's interior. There's a number of good videos over at OU showing how the puppets are operated. Plus the operators were only able to practice for three days before the soft opening. So, it will only get better from it's excellent opening.

May 28, 2015, 7:24 AM

The Raptor encounter looks great. Would be better if they had a Chris Pratt trainer with them...do they? Either way looks like a kinda pee yourself a little bit attraction that is lots of fun, but still it's a raptor.

May 28, 2015, 10:30 AM

They have trainers with the raptor. The show is evolving and the puppeteers are getting more practice in the suits which is translating into more realism. I saw a few videos of a couple small kids screaming in fear at the site of the raptor. The final version will probably be somewhat different from what you are seeing now.

June 2, 2015, 10:16 AM

Just saw the raptor at IOA. All I can say is "wow"! And you guys say there's a person in there? I honestly thought it was just an advanced robot. But that explains a lot -- it actually walks around instead of standing in one place.

We didn't do the photo op, but they've got it placed so you can stand and watch the encounter. It was fascinating to see how much expression they could get out of the raptor! From acting "scary" for families and kids to practically leering and purring at an attractive woman. It was hilarious and a perfect example of some of that sneaky humor I love about Universal.

This is definitely a great addition and bodes well for Kong, etc.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive