Tomorrowland Movie

May 25, 2015, 12:57 PM

So anyone willing to discuss how this one is turning out? I seem to remember quite a few people discussing how this was going to be a success. How do you think this movies numbers will affect the theme parks, if at all?

Tomorrowland Numbers

Replies (20)

May 25, 2015, 4:56 PM

This film was unanimously a disappointment from critics. This won't affect the parks in any way due to the fact that it mainly takes place in present time. This is just another poorly made live action Disney film that they'll forget about.

May 26, 2015, 6:31 AM

We went last night.. I was looking forward to this movie... The first 1/2 was fantastic but the second half was just not that good.

It reminded me of Man of steel - same thing 1/2 good 1/2 terrible.

All I could think of at the end was Disney made a movie to sell more Pins...

Big Hero 6 was so much better and needs to get more credit...

Edited: May 26, 2015, 10:12 AM

It seems like a dud. At least doing better than The Lone Ranger and John Carter, but still lumped into that category. Very sad and it appears we won't get a Tomorrowland makeover.

May 26, 2015, 4:38 PM

I personally thought it looked terrible from the get go. The CGI was "meh" looking, and the plot looked like another "Hunger Games" story.

Sounds a little bit like a forced movie from the 'top brass' being called "Tomorrowland."

Edited: May 26, 2015, 8:36 PM

It wasn't a horrible movie, just a little bit long, a tiny bit "preachy" (though, I liked the overall message of the film), and a little bit of a letdown once the "mystery" is revealed. However, the movie is definitely worth a rental and worth watching just for some of the 1964 World's Fair scenes as well as seeing Space Mountain in this movie's version of Tomorrowland. I didn't hate it at all, but it wasn't great. Sadly, one of the summer's biggest non-sequels is likely not going to break even which means companies like Disney are going to be less and less likely to green light anything that even attempts to try something new. Our loss.

May 26, 2015, 10:40 PM

While the city in the film would be excellent for a refurbishment of Tomorrowland at Disneyland, I think it's very unlikely that will happen at this point. The movie currently appears to be making about half of what it was expected to make and is probably going to be forgotten relatively quickly. It's a shame, as the movie has a great premise and isn't a bad film, but it definitely should have been better than it was.

May 27, 2015, 4:07 AM

MY wife and I were lucky enough to live 2 blocks from one of the Old Marquee Paramount theatres that Brad Bird picks (15 total) in the US to do a special screening of the movie.

I agree the first half of the movie was fantastic and reminded me of a good National Treasure meets somewhat of a spy thriller in Frank's house. Unfortunately once the curtain is pulled and you know what has to happen for the movie to end and the good guys to win it just goes down hill. I think I'll have fonder memories of this movie due to the experience we got as well as winning a pretty fantastic prize pack from Disney at the screening. (Free Tomorrowland T-Shirt and Pin, Glow in the Dark Ceiling Stars, think 90's but with Tomorrowland atomic symbol, a logo keychain, 4 free tickets/popcorns/drinks). All that for taking a photo in front of a poster and hashtagging our cities theater in the comment haha. I'll do that all day long for freebies!

May 27, 2015, 7:01 AM

Now that Tomorrowland is tanking, Jurrasic Park promos are on full swing. Both are theme park based movies. Universal will beat Disney. Ha ha.

May 27, 2015, 8:00 AM

Ya but like James said. That(Jurassic World) is just a remake. Original movies tanking is bad for us consumers, because companies will stop making them. Most of us are tired of remakes/remixes of movies. That is pretty much all we are getting this summer. Although I heard Mad Max was pretty good which is probably an exception.

May 27, 2015, 8:39 AM

But Mad Max was also a remake. A series of Mel Gibson movies earlier.

May 27, 2015, 9:47 AM

That's what I said. The one exception.

May 27, 2015, 12:22 PM

It seems that Disney has a new model that they're going to have to start following. Inside Out will probably end up being the summer's only original movie that ends up being a success. You have to wonder how much more money Tomorrowland would have made if it was animated instead of live action. I'm willing to bet that after 3 big budget box office failures, Disney's going to start making all their original idea movies animated. That way their live action ventures will be proven hits like Pirates, Star Wars, Marvel. Heck, if the animated film is such a success, they'll probably make it live action down the road eventually, as we're seeing with Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, etc.

Edited: May 27, 2015, 2:08 PM

Disney is moving on to Inside Out, Ant Man, Good Dino, and the #1 movie of the year, Star Wars VII. They probably won't hang their head too long. However, there is a dearth of creativity when it comes to genre films these days, unless, as James T. pointed out, they are animated and from Pixar. Even if Tomorrowland was great, would people have gone to see it? I don't know, but I don't think so. If it ain't a sequel, people don't seem to care much.

As for Mad Max, it was fine if you left your brain at the door, but less than fine once you realize it is just a series of loosely connected, but awesome looking stunt spectacles. It was better than Thunderdome, but not as good as Mad Max or The Road Warrior, imho.

I have almost zero interest in J World, Terminator, Minions, Fantastic Four, or Pixels - they all look awful - films made for the mid to lowest common denominator with the least amount of originality possible. And Ant-Man could ruin Marvel's rep, although I hold out hope it surprises like Guardians did. Right now the only other summer movie I will definitely catch in the theaters is Inside Out. Not a good summer to be sure.

May 27, 2015, 2:07 PM

David; Sorry. I misread your meaning.

May 27, 2015, 3:58 PM

James, I disagree with you about Jurassic World. Given all the promotions we're seeing, it will most likely end up as one of the top draws at the box office. Yeah, it looks like what we're used to, but I don't think it will be "awful." It looks like it has the most potential to come closest to the original in quality, hence the reason it took so long to make.

As for Terminator, I'm probably just going to see it since I never had the chance to see Arnold on the big screen in his signature role. I'm a fan of the Despicable Me movies, but the Minions movie holds little interest to me. That would be like seeing an Olaf spin-off from Disney (actually I'm sure that's in the works). I would have skipped Pixels, but since it has Peter Dinklage, I'll give it a chance. I'll pass on Fantastic Four and give Ant-Man a shot just like I gave Guardians a shot and enjoyed.

Edited: May 27, 2015, 8:46 PM

J T, the problem with J World is it looks like the exact same movie as the first one but with more people to eat and a bigger Dino. Boring. I will be perfectly willing to wait until it comes out on Netflix four months after it is released.

After Terminator 2 they just should have stopped the series - it was the perfect ending, and nearly a perfect film. Every new film in the series just invalidates Cameron's genius work a little bit more. Let the franchise die, please.

As you noted, Minions are fun in small doses, but a whole movie would just be painful. Pixels is a rental at best, and I agree with you on both FF and Ant-Man: I don't trust Fox with FF, but I am hopeful Disney/Marvel will pull a rabbit out of its hat with Ant-Man. We'll see.

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying these films will not make money, on the contrary, some of them will be huge. I am just saying that fwiw (not much) I personally am not interested in paying top dollar to see the majority of them on the big screen. And unlike Tomorrowland they lack almost any originality.

Incidentally, they just showed a Pixels commercial during the Rockets / Warriors game.... Ugh! Can Adam Sandler's once promising career go any further into the dumps?

PS San Andreas looks awful, too.

May 28, 2015, 11:44 AM

Jurassic World looks like it could be just mediocre, but I'll go see the movie, because Dinosaurs. I don't expect it to be a gem like the first movie, but rather simple fun entertainment, because Dinosaurs.

Originality is hard to pull off in Hollywood. Inception was probably that last good original movie to come out in recent years. Not every movie or every year will have a winner.

May 28, 2015, 12:14 PM

"Can Adam Sandler's once promising career go any further into the dumps?"

After Jack and Jill, no. No it can not.

May 28, 2015, 2:40 PM

Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore were so promising!

May 28, 2015, 5:35 PM

Only 2 movies he had that were good.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive