Cedar Point Size Limits

June 8, 2015, 11:53 AM

Hi everyone! I have been to Cedar Point twice in the past. I never had any trouble fitting on any of the rides. My family and I are returning this summer. I'm a little anxious because I have put on a little weight. I carry my weight around my hips, thighs, and lower belly.

I am 5ft3 and weight 169 pounds. I see that the website lists the limits as size 18 or 200 pounds for women. I am a size 16 currently. What concerns me is I see that for men it has a limit of waist size of 40 inches. Currently my waist size above that ~1-2 inches.

I know in the past some of the rides have had their seat belts shortened or tightened. (Millenium Force and Dragster I believe) But I'm not sure if anything has changed since the last time I went (2012).

Has anyone been there recently who could tell me if I have a reason to be concerned or if I should be fine? (I understand of course that people have different builds...I'm just concerned).

Replies (7)

June 8, 2015, 12:05 PM

It's all about those seat belts on Dragster and Force. Hips and waist are the biggest variables for those, and the only way to be sure is to try the test seats. But yes, those belts were shortened, but I believe it was quite a few years ago when that happened (@2010 if my memory serves). Those are the only two coasters that you should have any problem with at Cedar Point.

June 8, 2015, 12:23 PM

Thanks so much for the info! I'm glad you confirmed that they were most likely shortened before my last trip, that makes me feel better.

I technically still fit into the shorts I wore last time. So I'm hoping if I just focus on exercise and healthy eating I'll be able to lose enough weight that it won't really be a concern. (Technically I'm more concerned with losing inches around my waist/lower belly but that's not an issue for this board ;) )

I'm also super relieved to hear that those are the only two that should be problematic. I've heard that Wicked Twister can be tight too. I have to admit, I don't remember what the restraints are on that one. Would that one be an issue?

June 8, 2015, 12:37 PM

Wicked Twister has the older style Intamin OTSR (hard padded horse-collar style). They're identical to most of the Intamin impulse coasters around the world. I would only anticipate a problem if you have larger chest/shoulder measurements. If I remember correctly, the belt on Wicked Twister latches on the side instead of between the legs, which is why it is more restrictive than other Intamin inverts (like Volcano, V2, and the like).

Maverick has the newer style Intamin OTSRs, and I believe that they replaced the rubber-coated metal shoulder straps (that used to be really uncomfortable for guests of certain heights) with the soft fabric-padded straps like on Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion for this season.

Obviously, those with larger hips are not going to like the seats on Mean Streak or Blue Streak, but fitting in them is not as much of an issue as comfort since the seat belts and lap bars will fit just about anyone.

Gatekeeper has the new B&M OTSRs with the "vest" that some people find uncomfortable because it can ratchet tighter as you ride when your body shifts in the seat. IF you've been on a B&M flier, Banshee, or any of the other B&M wing coasters, Gatekeeper is the same, but as with just about every single B&M, the restraints are very accommodating for larger guests.

June 8, 2015, 12:42 PM

For the most part I carry my weight lower, so I don't think that will be a problem in that case.

I usually avoid Mean Streak mostly because they are often a bit rough feeling. I think I got spoiled by newer, smooth coasters! Ha ha!

I haven't had a chance to ride Gatekeeper (or any of the B&M wing coasters) but I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Thanks for the info!

June 8, 2015, 5:07 PM

I visited the park last year with a couple friends who were on the larger side and exceeded Cedar Point's published size restrictions (one by a significant margin). Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, and Wicked Twister were the only three that showed any trouble when using the test seat. Millennium Force ended up being no problem, one had some difficulty on Top Thrill Dragster, and both struggled on Wicked Twister. However, they were both able to fit in all three with some assistance from the ride operators.

If you had no problems fitting before, you'll probably be fine. If you barely fit on your last visit, you might run into issues on the three mentioned above, but still give it a try. The operators will try everything they can to get you in there, and if you really end up not fitting it just gives you a goal for your next trip.

June 24, 2015, 10:59 AM

Thank you for this... I usually go to Kings Island as I am from Ohio and I know I can ride everything there... while mulling over a CP trip, I wondered- if I can fit into Back Lot Stunt Coaster and the Snoopy coaster (old Runaway Reptar)in the kids' section (as well as Woodstock coaster)- should I be concerned about any CP coasters? I am pretty sure I will not fit in TTD. I am a lil larger than a size 16 (not by much) but I am pretty chesty. thanks in advance for confirming or denying my thoughts. :)

July 1, 2015, 10:44 AM

I just wanted to check in, my trip is in about 1.5 weeks. I've lost a little bit of weight (~7-8 pounds). I haven't quite dropped a size (which is what I was really hoping for...) but I'm feeling more optimistic. My fanny pack fits on the same setting it did last time. So I figure that's a good sign. ;)

I'm planning on updating when I return so that way anyone else who is looking for current info on sizing and the rides will have some info. :)

Thanks again for all your help.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive