Thinking about building my own park

July 28, 2015, 11:48 PM

I just thought about having my own park. Like seriously. I've always dreamed of living in a theme park and try out all the rides with my friends. Now that I'm older, I do want to try it out since my parents and friends are very much willing to help me out. Does a water park mixed with a theme park work??

And this is one of the places I'm thinking of getting (Water Ventures, http://waterventures.com/ )but I want to be extra sure so if anybody have any idea about them, please let me know! Thanks!

Replies (6)

July 29, 2015, 12:18 AM

That sounds AMAZING! If you have the resources, I say go for it! And yes, water park/ theme parks do work. I have seen a lot of small parks like that.

July 29, 2015, 12:56 AM

Check out Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana. They have four themed lands (Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Fourth of July) and an amazing water park that is one of the best in the nation. You might enjoy following the Theme Park Apprentice competition going on right now in here, and also past competitions. We plan on having these competitions go on as long as there are competitors, so it would be a fun way to learn what works and what doesn't in designing a theme park.

I've been working on a theme park/water park combination based on my TPA experience, so if you have about $5 billion laying around that you would like to invest let me know. ;+)

July 29, 2015, 7:57 AM

Sounds like a great idea, what type of rides are you planning on making though.

July 29, 2015, 8:43 AM

Is your parents and friends helping you out with labor or money? It will take more than that like tens of millions of dollars. Running a theme park is like running a mall. Every single item needs to be accounted for and run as a separate business. This sounds like a scam. This is fan site and not a trade organization.

July 29, 2015, 9:06 AM

I too am thinking about building a Theme park. I am sure it is easy to compete with the Big boys.

Dude seriously - the insurance along will cost Millions... Never mind building the park, maintenance, employee’s health coverage, workers comp, trash collection, inspectors, and state approval. Just scratching the surface here… Design, foliage, bathrooms, water and power bill…. I can go on but you get it by now.

Might be cheaper just to buy Sea World parks - They are already built and approved.

Oh don't forget the bribes you will need to make... Kick backs..

Edited: July 29, 2015, 10:59 AM

You need to give us more to go on. Where are you thinking of building it? Who are your primary competitors? What type of budget do you have? How big will the park be? What attractions do you want to have on opening day? The list goes on, but you get the idea.

I've got a feeling many theme park enthusiasts have probably thought about building a park. Some have even come up with a detailed outline of what their park would be. However, almost everyone lacks the resources to actually make it happen. Constructing a legitimate theme park is going to be a 9-10 figure endeavor and generally cannot be accomplished by one individual. You need to find a group of people who will assist in making your dream a reality. I've also started to wonder if it would be possible to kickstart a theme park. I'm fairly certain you wouldn't fund it completely that way, but if you could manage to get a good chunk of money it would definitely help.

As for your question on combined theme/water parks, this is the model followed by many regional parks. Many people like theme parks, but during the summer it can get hot and uncomfortable. At the same time, waterparks are popular but few want to spend a full day at one. Combining the two together and offering a one-price admission has proven to be a very successful strategy. I can't tell you much about Water Ventures, but to me it looks more like a project design and management company than a waterpark attractions provider. I'd recommend checking out Proslide and White Water West for actual waterpark attractions.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive