Will Disney underwhelm or overwhelm?

August 18, 2015, 11:17 AM

As most of you are aware of all of the new Disney announcements, Star Wars, Avatar, Jungle cruise and whatnot… Plus with the release of some of the plans, sketch’s and photos - Do you think Disney will underwhelm or overwhelm?

I just hope this is as good as it looks and they do not skimp on these, but time will tell.

The new Disney Springs in Downtown Disney looks promising.

Replies (7)

August 18, 2015, 1:19 PM

The lands look impressive. They will overwhelm at least on that level. Whether the ride is good is another issue.

Edited: August 18, 2015, 2:36 PM

The main issue is expectations. With so much hype & fanfare, some are bound to be disappointed, while for others it will be amazing.

Some people are already disappointed the the land is set in a location that we haven't seen in the Star War universe, so.....

The concept art looks fantastic, yet it (like most versions of concept art) are enhanced. No crowds, no views of other lands / buildings, ships flying in the air, etc.

I think it will be great, & I think it will be visually impressive, but I think if expectations are lowered, it's easier to be "wowed" than if you expectations are too high.

For some, there's nothing Disney can create that will match their ideas & desires for these lands.

Edited: August 18, 2015, 3:29 PM

Jay pretty much nailed it. I think a lot of people (particularly the Disney fanatics) tend to expect the impossible from Disney, and when the actual project doesn't live up to their unrealistic expectations they do nothing but complain. It is fair to be disappointed by something that was portrayed very inaccurately during promotion, but if you expect Star Wars Land to allow you to hop in a speeder and fly around the park you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

As for the general public, I'm sure some people will be overwhelmed by the new projects and others will find them very underwhelming. It's going to depend on what expectations they had and how interested they are in the franchise. The biggest danger of single IP lands is that they don't necessarily appeal to everyone, and these new areas will have this problem. For example, on their recent Florida trip my brother and sister (who are big Harry Potter fans) really loved the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but my dad (who hasn't even seen all 8 movies and doesn't have any other knowledge of the franchise) found the areas visually appealing but not all that interesting. That said, Toy Story and especially Star Wars appeal to a larger demographic than Harry Potter does and I've got a feeling relatively few people will find them uninteresting. Avatar, on the other hand, or the speculated future Marvel Land, could prove problematic if not handled properly.

August 18, 2015, 6:06 PM

Yes, expectations are prime. Example: The expectations for Gringott's were so unrealistically high that there were a lot of people somewhat disappointed initially. But now that it's had over a year since opening, and all of the very high tech problems have been conquered, people generally love the ride. And its very high capacity and astounding queue and pre shows have solidified it's satisfaction.

August 18, 2015, 8:22 PM

I think avatar and Star Wars will be overwhelming, Now toy story looks eh.

August 19, 2015, 5:29 AM

I was on the Disney Springs site yesterday. This expansion is enormous. It will welcome millions of guests annually

August 19, 2015, 6:02 AM

I found the announcement to be very whelming. It all sounds great, would love to see some timelines to know when to expect all of the updates.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive