Stratosphere rides

Edited: September 4, 2015, 1:16 PM

I've got a chance to go to the Stratosphere in Las Vegas this afternoon. Any tips? Thanks!
Edit: At the Adventuredome was dead a few days ago, and I didn't wait at all for the Big Apple coaster so who'll there be any crowds?

Replies (7)

September 4, 2015, 1:24 PM

I rode the High Roller a long time ago when they had it, but can't comment on the current rides as I've never done them (too expensive). If you do go, buy a combo pass to save money (I believe it's $35 for tower admission and one ride on each of the three rides). If you have a fear of heights, the rides will definitely be a lot more thrilling.

September 4, 2015, 1:50 PM

We did XScream, High Roller, and Big Shot over 11 years ago, but Insanity wasn't there, so I've never done it. Obviously if you're in Vegas, you're inclined to go to the top, so the price of the elevator ride alone subtracted from the price of the various combo tickets doesn't make them seem expensive by comparison. Tall buildings have gotten this down to a science where they charge an absurd fee to get to the top and then provide additional upcharge activities at the top for an incremental fee. We noticed that last year when we went to Toronto with the CN Tower now loaded with upcharges and a $35 flat fee just to ride the elevator to the top. The Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) in Chicago was not quite as bad when we visited this past summer, but those incremental upcharges are still there. The Empire State Building was the same with a motion simulator you could add on, and I'm guessing the Freedom Tower in NYC is the same.

September 4, 2015, 3:44 PM

Review: Not worth your money!!!! When we got to the top, Insanity was not operating, so we went to XScream. XScream is okay, but not operated very well. Had to wait for more people for them to start the ride. Then I rode Big Shot twice and same thing. Not operating well. Big shot is okay, not as good as Dr. Doom, the only other launched drop tower I've been on. Rode XScream again. Only person on the ride so that was kind of fun. Bottom line: if you don't care about $36 bucks, go ahead.

September 4, 2015, 5:03 PM

I did the skyjump on my 14th birthday, six years ago and it was nerve wrecking. I asked to get kicked off so I wouldn't chicken out and it was fun! I wouldn't ride x scream, that is scarier than getting kicked off a building. Big shot is lame, but insanity is amazing. Basically, ride insanity if wind speeds allow and do the sky jump

September 8, 2015, 6:15 PM

I loved Big Shot; nothing else is the same up there as when I went.

But it could be worse: at least they don't have pay toilets up there.

September 9, 2015, 9:11 AM

The elevator ride to the top is the thing worthwhile, plus the circling restaurant.

September 9, 2015, 12:19 PM

Have you tried the skyjump anon? Best adrenaline rush ever

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive