Halloween Events

October 6, 2015, 9:57 AM

Anybody else notice a huge drop in quality in Halloween events in SoCal. I went to Knott's, Magic Mountain, and Universal Studios Hollywood, and only USH truly scared me. I used to like Knott's Scary Farm, but now it seems really tacky and cheap.

Replies (3)

Edited: October 6, 2015, 7:50 PM

You are probably just getting less scared. Just like how the first time you eat jalapenos, they are really spicy. However, after you eat them for a while, they are not as spicy as they were the first time.

But, I haven't been to a Halloween event yet, so this is just an assumption.

October 6, 2015, 8:06 PM

I went to Knott's Scary Farm last year and was a bit disappointed with it. Last year was my first time attending that particular event, but based on what I had heard from previous years it did seem a bit weak and I'm not sure if I'll go again this year. The general consensus is that Knott's has gotten tamer in recent years, and while still a decent event I would expect a separate-ticket haunt event to be high PG-13/low R instead of low PG-13.

I was at SFMM's Fright Fest last weekend, however, and I thought that one was pretty good. The actors there were a lot better than those at Knott's and several of the mazes were really good (particularly Willoughby's, Red's Revenge, and Toyz of Terror). I don't know that I'd go if it was a separate ticket event, but I was still impressed with the quality of the event. I'd definitely consider this one PG-13 for scariness, though I love the No Boo sticks kids (and adults who just want to ride coasters) can buy to avoid being attacked in the scare zones.

October 7, 2015, 9:32 AM

They are always more scary the first time. I prefer Disney's Halloween Party. I go every year. You get the Halloween spirit without feeling like you need to be scared, which when that goes, there's no point in going.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive