Hunger games theme park coming to Georgia

November 3, 2015, 7:41 AM

Our local paper mentioned today that Lionsgate is attempting to get into the theme park business in Georgia.

Some basic information:

700 acres tract of land in Northern Georgia
$625 Million proposed budget
Includes 2 hotels, retail and a music venue
Hunger Games area already announced
Planned opening Jan. 2019

The plan is for a "totally immersive technology driven theme park".

Here is a web address that discusses further.

business.blog.ajc.com/2015/11/02/avatron-park-to-feature-hunger-games-attractions/

Discuss

Replies (3)

November 3, 2015, 1:48 PM

I wish them luck, but it's going to be tough sledding to get traction in that part of the country. That part of Georgia is really not a "destination", and while it looks like they're not undercutting the amount of money it will take to build and operate (like Hard Rock Park did), but I wonder where that kind of money is coming from. They're also planning on the park to be most indoors, which could be a big mistake in a part of the country that could probably operate almost year round in an outdoor setting - wasted money.

I'll believe it when I see them actually break ground, and I'm not holding my breath.

November 6, 2015, 11:02 AM

November 6, 2015, 11:11 AM

Since this proposed park is only 20 mins from where we live, it certainly caught my interest too. But I am also quite skeptical. As Russell noted, that area is not a "destination" but being near a major interstate (I-75) and close to a new sports mega-complex (Lakepointe), gives it some sort of opportunity to succeed. I looked at details of this proposal and there were alot of "ifs" (investor funding being most critical.

The indoor issue is less of a factor than you would think. One of the biggest complaints about our home park, SFOG is a lack of things to do once the rain starts falling. Rides and coasters shut down and there are only a handful of indoor or sheltered rides. And we certainly get our fair share of Summer thunderstorms as well as Spring and Fall rain days.

In conclusion, I don't see this realistically happening. I have seen many such projects announced here in GA over the years that have never materialized.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive