Super powers in Disneyland?

November 5, 2015, 7:41 PM

Ever since Disney purchased the rights to Marvel, they have slowly began to insert Marvel characters at the Disneyland Resort. First, they sold merchandise, now, they have added character meet and greets inside Innoventions. Some characters including, Spider-Man, and Captain America. My question is this: Will Disneyland construct MARVEL LAND, and attractions to coincide with the land?

There has been talk about adding Marvel-themed rides at California Adventure, which makes a lot of sense. I love California Adventure park, but they could use a couple of more rides, since Disneyland park has so many.

Marvel is a very popular franchise. Disney should look to expand the franchise into the parks. For example, Hong Kong Disneyland will be adding the "Iron Man Experience" attraction next year. Why can't Disneyland, or California Adventure replicate the ride into its parks? Or, create a ride similar, but include different aspects to the ride?

MARVEL LAND would be a great addition to the Disneyland parks. They could possibly create an Avengers attraction, similar to the "Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man," in Universal Studios Orlando. Or, a Marvel-themed attraction similar to "Star Tours; The Adventure Continues."

There is an endless amount of possibilities Disneyland can do with Marvel in its parks. Why not look to expand on it sooner than later? What's the wait? Is it space, cost, or the fact they are committed to STAR WARS LAND? Whatever the case may be, Disneyland should look to expand on the Marvel franchise.

Replies (16)

November 5, 2015, 11:04 PM

This is all unofficial and may or may not be correct, but here's what I've heard regarding Marvel Land so far: The project itself is indeed in development and was going to be announced at D23, but Disney decided to postpone the announcement to the next event in order to avoid competition with Star Wars Land. Marvel Land will (supposedly) be announced at the next D23. The land will go into DCA, using part of Hollywood Land as well as unused space in this area of the park. It will open after Star Wars Land, likely for DCA's 20th anniversary in 2021. From what I've heard, the land's major attractions will be a clone of the Iron Man Experience and an indoor roller coaster similar to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

I've got a feeling Disney is probably working on a lot of projects now and is just spacing out their announcements and construction. I don't know everything for sure, but I have heard that DCA will be getting a Marvel Land as their next major project and that in addition to Star Wars Land, Disneyland will be overhauling Fantasyland and redoing Tomorrowland before the 70th anniversary. Disney's got $1+ billion in investment that they've committed to, and I'm 99% sure that won't all be going to Star Wars Land and a parking structure.

November 6, 2015, 1:01 AM

Those are great news to hear, AJ. Even if they are only rumors, they sound pretty accurate to what we can expect from Disney. With so many projects lately, it is only a matter of time for Disney to unveil their newest one based on Marvel. Marvel Land would definitely be a great addition to DCA, the park packs a bunch, but it is in need of more rides and themed lands.

November 6, 2015, 6:05 AM

I have read about that, Marvel Land would be a great addition to California Adventure. The Iron Man Experience, and Rock N Roll type roller coaster would fit nicely in DCA. I can definitely see Disney announcing Marvel Land at the next D23 Expo. What year is Star Wars Land expected to be complete? 2019, 2020? Marvel Land will probably come some time after that. Probably in 2021, to coincide with DCA's 20th anniversary.

I agree, I feel Disneyland is working on many new projects, and spacing out construction and announcements. What do you think they will do to Fantasyland, and Tommowland before the 70th? What type of attractions so you think will be added?

November 6, 2015, 7:02 AM

If there is going to be a MarvelLand, Disney needs to be sure to match or beat the quality of the Marvel attractions at Universal. If it does go to DCA I hope Disney attempts to keep the California theme as much as possible. When the park opened, the theme was much closer to Epcot, being a tribute to California. The execution of the California theme was greatly lacking, but it was a good theme.

Edited: November 6, 2015, 9:29 AM

Using part of Hollywood Land? There's not enough space there and I doubt they will remove any attraction to fit in the Iron Man ride. I wonder if they will actually use the empty lot next to Cars Land and south of Tower of Terror.

These rumors are fine, but I also heard they might move Star Tours into Star Wars Land as the second phase of the construction. Yes, 2 phases. The first phase was about the new movies and the second phase is the old trilogies. If that is the case, won't Iron Man be put into Tomorrowland? It's the same ride system afterall.

Okay, these are all rumors and we still haven't heard what they will do to Tomorrowland that needs an update, plus Hollywood Backlot needs a theming refresh like what they did with Condor Flats. Hollywood Backlot no longer exists and they will go with a traditional Hollywood Blvd themed overlay. This won't allow Marvel Land since the theming is not consistent.

November 6, 2015, 9:06 AM

I have no doubt that Disney's Marvel attractions will be superior to Universals. Disney is always looking to the latest ground-breaking technology, and enhancing their products, and attractions to the highest degree. I like Universal, as well as their attractions, but Disney's attractions are far more superior, as well as more innovative.

I like California Adventure's theme, and the attractions fit nicely into the park's theme. I believe Disney will continue to keep the California theme. The addition of Marvel Land only enhances the park. Marvel Land will bring new creative, and unprecedented rides. Not to say that Universal's rides aren't good, however, all of their rides are similar - 3D type rides (Despicable Me, Transformers, Shrek, The Simpsons, Spiderman). There's not as much variety as there is at Disney parks.

Disneyland's Marvel Land will be ingenious, and offer the newest ground-breaking technology. Disney never disappoints. Marvel Land will fit perfect in DCA, which will augment the park's attractions.

November 6, 2015, 10:13 AM

"Disney never disappoints."

Considering how bad DCA was on opening day, and how DHS and Epcot have become a shell of their former selves, I don't agree with that statement. I would argue that when Disney puts their full effort, and money into something, they are the superior to everyone else in the business. The problem is that Disney cuts corners to save money, and has created few truly new attractions in the last 20 years. Disney Imagineering is still number one, and Disneyland Japan proves that. But in the U.S., Disney has decided to play it safe, and only build something if they think it will be a hit and will benefit the bottom line.

November 6, 2015, 10:21 AM

You might want to reassess your last post there, timbo, because you're starting to delve into Disney fanboy territory with some of those statements.

"Disney's attractions are far more superior, as well as more innovative."

Can you honestly deny that Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are on a par with if not superior to any lands in any Disney park in the United States?

"Not to say that Universal's rides aren't good, however, all of their rides are similar - 3D type rides (Despicable Me, Transformers, Shrek, The Simpsons, Spiderman). There's not as much variety as there is at Disney parks."

I guess I'm going to have to look harder for the 3-D screens on the Hulk, MIB, Dragon's Challenge, MIB, ET Adventure, etc.

"Disneyland's Marvel Land will be ingenious, and offer the newest ground-breaking technology. Disney never disappoints."

Some of us are still waiting for Disney to offer rides on a technological par with Spiderman which is over a decade old. Disney builds great rides, but Universal has overwhelmed them on the technology front. That situation should be corrected with the announced rides coming to the Disney parks, but Disney has been rather remiss in the last few decades when it comes to proving the latest and greatest in their parks.

As far as Disney never disappointing can I suggest that you look up Dinoland USA and DCA version 1 just to name a few of their many disappointments?

November 6, 2015, 12:23 PM

Let me start with this, if you had to take your family on a vacation, where would you rather go - Disneyland/Disney World, or Universal? To me, it's a no-brainer. Disney has much more to offer families. Universal caters more towards teenagers-young adults. My kids can't go on The Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Harry Potter, etc. Nor, do they want to, they are too afraid. Disney, however, is a different story. They can pretty much go on every ride, excluding maybe California Screamin', and Rock N Roll Rollercoaster.

Now, Randy and Tim, to say Disney's rides are not technologically advanced...look at Radiator Springs, The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Soarin',Test Track, those are some pretty incredible rides to me. Can you say honestly say Universal is more advanced than those rides? I'm haven't even mentioned international Disney parks. For example, Winnie the Pooh's Hunny Hunt, in Tokyo Disneyland, Journey to the Center of Earth, Mystic Manor, in Disneyland Hong Kong, and Ratatouille: The Adventure, in Disneyland Paris. Shanghai Disneyland, slated to open spring, 2016, will feature the "Tron Lightcycle Power Run," a new version of Pirates, as well as "Soarin over the Horizon."

Yes, I agree, the Harry Potter land and attractions are pretty spectacular, I can't argue with that. But on the whole, Disney is more innovative. Their shows blow Universal's away. As well as parades, and fireworks. Yes, not everything Disney does is perfect, you mentioned Dinoland USA, they have had some flops. Heck, even Michael Jordan had an off day every now and then. No one is perfect, but when it comes to rides, nobody does it like Disney does.

Right now, Disney is working on new and exciting rides. For example, "Frozen ever After," debuts next year. Star Wars Land will feature great new attractions. I'm not sure what more you can ask for? Space Mountain, in Disneyland, will feature new enhancements, and be entitled "Hyperspace Mountain." If I were you, I wouldn't bet against Disney. In my opinion, Disney will always be victorious against Universal.

Edited: November 6, 2015, 2:36 PM

It's kind of funny, timbo23. Universal Orlando has been my theme park resort of choice for well over a decade by a 5 to 1 ratio. I got tired of settling for mediocre value for my money at Disney World and found a place with immersive lands, awesome rides, and shorter lines just down the road. I still enjoy Disney, but Universal is the benchmark by which I measure theme park satisfaction now.

A review Randy's post as well as my post might be a good idea. Neither of us said that Disney's rides are not technologically advanced. I said that Disney has yet to offer anything as technologically advanced as Spiderman, and Randy said that "when Disney puts their full effort, and money into something, they are the superior to everyone else in the business." I'm having trouble figuring out how either of those comments "say that Disney's rides are not technologically advanced."

The international Disney parks are a sore point with many American theme park enthusiasts. When the best two park resort in the world resides in Tokyo, and the best theme park in the world is arguably Tokyo DisneySea (been there - it's incredible!), then that is a condemnation of Disney, because while Disney was building Tokyo DisneySea with the Oriental Land Company's money, they were putting up DCA v.1 and AK in the States on the cheap.

Disney is finally investing in their US parks because the heat they were getting from theme park enthusiasts and eventually the general public became too great for them to continue in their parsimonious ways. The success of the Harry Potter lands and the improvements to the Universal Orlando resort as well as the awesome rides and parks that were being built by Disney outside the United States got a lot of people wondering if they were getting their money's worth from Disney. Disney had great parks, but people started pointing out that Universal was on the path to building better parks, and that got the competitive juices flowing at Disney.

As far as Disney being victorious against Universal - who cares? I want a victory for the theme park patron, and if Universal ever lets one of their parks get as hollow as DHS and Epcot have over the last few years, I'll be first in line to point out the cheapness.

Edited: November 6, 2015, 4:45 PM

Wow, this blew up into another Disney vs. Universal debate. I won't get involved in that, because my opinion stands at "they're both great in different ways" and even if one is better than the other, it is like the difference between an A and an A-. Granted, I have not visited the Florida versions of either park, but in California it's a coin toss between DCA and USH for me (I do like Disneyland better than either, but primarily because it has a lot more to offer for the ticket price).

Anyway...

What year is Star Wars Land expected to be complete? 2019, 2020?

Nobody knows for sure. The popular speculation is 2020, but my guess is 2019 to coincide with the conclusion of the sequel trilogy. I recently read a report that Disney is shooting for 2018 but I'm skeptical of that.

What do you think they will do to Fantasyland, and Tommowland before the 70th? What type of attractions so you think will be added?

Based on what I've heard, the Fantasyland upgrades will consist of upgrades to all the dark rides similar to what was done to Alice in Wonderland. In addition, all Fantasyland attractions will receive entirely new queue lines that are wheelchair accessible. Finally, the Fantasyland Theater will be removed and replaced with a trackless Frozen dark ride and a new restaurant will be added near here. The motorboat lake may also become a new attraction.

For Tomorrowland, I have heard that Autopia will be significantly modified or potentially even removed, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage may be closed or modified, the People Mover track will be taken out (finally), and the monorail track will be altered to free up space above the current Autopia area. Why? Tron Lightcycles attraction, not a clone of the one going to Shanghai but a brand new ride. In addition, the Astro Orbitor will be relocated to the top of the tower, the Innoventions building and Tomorrowland Theater will both become new attractions, and Star Tours will be relocated to Star Wars Land and replaced by a new attraction. What are these attractions? I have no clue, but I have heard they will be neither Star Wars nor Marvel.

Once again, all of the above is based on what I've heard from various sources and fitting the puzzle together, but I've got a hunch there is probably more truth to it than not.

Using part of Hollywood Land? There's not enough space there and I doubt they will remove any attraction to fit in the Iron Man ride. I wonder if they will actually use the empty lot next to Cars Land and south of Tower of Terror.

Last I heard, MuppetVision 3D, the old Millionaire Theater, and Monsters, Inc. would all be used for Marvel Land. Essentially everything north of Hollywood Boulevard would become Marvel. The land would then wrap around the back of the Hyperion Theater and the bulk of the roller coaster would occupy the parking lot next to Tower of Terror (or at least a portion of it). It's not as big as Cars Land or Star Wars Land, but this space would give them about 9 acres to play with. Of course, same disclaimer as above applies here.

These rumors are fine, but I also heard they might move Star Tours into Star Wars Land as the second phase of the construction. Yes, 2 phases. The first phase was about the new movies and the second phase is the old trilogies. If that is the case, won't Iron Man be put into Tomorrowland? It's the same ride system afterall.

I've heard the two phase Star Wars Land plan as well, and I'm pretty sure that's what they'll be doing. Why not put Iron Man where Star Tours was? Two reasons: 1. Star Tours will be relocated, so the same simulators will be brought to the new location, and 2. Disney supposedly wants to keep major Marvel development in DCA as Marvel is geared toward a slightly older audience just like the rest of DCA.

If there is going to be a MarvelLand, Disney needs to be sure to match or beat the quality of the Marvel attractions at Universal.

I said I wasn't going to get into the Disney vs. Universal debate, but I just have to say this: The Disneyland Resort is NOT in competition with Universal Orlando. Their land doesn't have to beat Marvel Super Hero Island to be successful. If Walt Disney World does add a Marvel Land in the future, then it will be compared to Universal's version, but the vast majority of visitors to the Disneyland version won't be comparing the two.

November 6, 2015, 10:40 PM

Tim, how have Hollywood Studios and Epcot become "hollow?" Epcot is very unique, in which you can visit the different countries. Can you do that in Universal? Spaceship Earth received enhancements the last several years, Mission Space is very good, Test Track also received upgrades to the ride. I don't see how that's become "hollow?" They are adding a new Frozen attraction next year, as well Soarin' over the Horizon. Epcot is upgrading. As for DHS, I'll admit, it has become a big stale the past few years, but once Star Wars Land is completed, it will be a substantial improvement to the park.

Yes, Universal does have some great rides, there's no denying that. However, for the price you pay, Disney has much more to offer for families. I mean come on, 4 parks compared to 2? Don't you think you're getting more for your buck? Not to mention water parks, more hotels, restaurants, more entertainment, etc.

Universal's rides have become a bit redundant. How many more 3-D rides can they have? It seems like every ride in the park is 3-D. How is that unique and innovative? It seems as if they are playing it safe with what has worked for them. I'm sure there next ride will be another 3-D one. At least Disney has more variety in their rides.

I wouldn't say Universal's lines are shorter, have you ridden the Harry Potter rides? Do you think those are short? Unless you stay at one of their hotels, and have the front of the line pass, there lines are just as long. There's not much shade there either, unlike in Disney. The restaurants aren't so great, other than City Walk. There aren't many characters in the park, or shows to just sit and relax, while cooling off.

Bottom line Tim, nothing compares to Disney. The magic, the atmosphere, the excitement, it makes you feel like a kid again. The smell of candy and popcorn on Main Street, the fireworks, the feeling that there is still magic left in the world. I'm sorry, but I don't feel that way at Universal.

November 7, 2015, 7:20 AM

I could trot out the usually litany of statistics and arguments that I use on Disney fanboys, timbo23, but what's the point? Far too many of your comments indicate that you lack objectivity when it comes to the Disney parks when compared to the Universal parks, and any effort that I put forth to help you see Disney and Universal in an appropriate light would be wasted. Plus I end up looking like a male donkey who likes to argue and take people's statements apart point by point. (On this website, that exalted position is exclusively the domain of TH Creative.)

So, I would encourage you to do a little research on this site for yourself. Robert Niles has written some great articles on what is good and what is lacking at both the Disney and Universal parks and resorts. Look at the comments and arguments from some of the old-timers on this site like James Rao, Rob Pastor, and NB who have spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years on family trips to the Disney and Universal resorts. They've earned the right to have their opinions respected. I would say that they've all been where you are right now where Disney was this magical place that had no comparison, and then they found out that Universal could knock your socks off too.

We all benefit when Universal challenges Disney to be better, so please give credit to Universal for forcing Disney to upgrade their domestic parks. Disney had been on cruise control domestically for several years, and it took a "magical" upgrade at Universal Studios plus a ton of online criticism to get Disney out of their actuarial management practices when it came to investments in the parks.

BTW - Welcome to the site!

November 7, 2015, 9:35 AM

Tim, I do agree with you, "we all benefit when Universal challenges Disney to do better." Friendly competition is always a good thing. Friendly debates are good as well, as you and I are currently. There is no right or wrong, I personally like Disney better, and you like Universal better. That's okay, there's nothing wrong with that. I enjoy Universal too, they have some great rides...there's no doubt about that. We could keep on debating, but as you said, "what's the point?" This could go on forever.

Let's just say that both Disney and Universal are both great in there own, unique way. I enjoy our discussions on who we think is better. It's a healthy argument. We both have legitimate points, and we both have our own ideas and beliefs. I look forward to our debates in the future. They make me think, and look at the big picture.

Thank you! In already enjoying the site!

November 7, 2015, 5:09 PM

Well going back to the actual topic of this thread, I believe all the rumors from AJ are accurate , though I don't want an iron man experience replica at the u.s parks. I want the big e ticket avengers ride and as a secondary ride some kind of guardians of the galaxy indoor coaster (kind of like Mummy), some kind of x-men live Action stunt show , a replica of the avengers tower and some kind of restaurant themed to Asgard.

November 8, 2015, 3:10 PM

There is definitely time for plans to change, and I'm guessing if the Iron Man Experience isn't well received in Hong Kong it may get swapped out with something else. My guess is that they'll want to focus on Avengers so Guardians of the Galaxy are probably out (at least at first) and I don't believe Disney has the rights to X-Men, but those other ideas sound good. Based on the size of the area, I'm guessing two rides, a show, a meet and greet, a dining location, and a shopping location is probably about right for what the land will include.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive