What future Disneyland attractions would you like to see?

November 19, 2015, 7:24 PM

Disneyland is a wonderful place. A place where adults can be children. There is something for everyone. What makes Disneyland so great is the atmosphere, and the people that work there. There are many great attractions and shows at Disneyland as well.

I was thinking, as much as I love Disneyland, what can they do to make it even better? Can they? The addition of "Star Wars Land" will only augment the resort. The addition of a "Marvel Land," in the future will be a great insertion as well.

My question to all of you: What future lands/attractions would you like to see at the Disneyland Resort and why?

Replies (12)

November 19, 2015, 7:36 PM

I would love to see the Tron Lightcycle Power Run rollercoaster get built in Tomorrowland. It could replace Autopia and use that space for the outdoors and indoors part of the ride. Also, Tomorrowland should get an entire makeover since the area is a bit outdated.

November 19, 2015, 7:54 PM

Journey to the Center of the Earth

November 20, 2015, 2:14 PM

Figment anyone?

November 20, 2015, 3:45 PM

Based on strong rumors I've heard, I'm guessing the four major projects over the next ten years will be Star Wars Land, Marvel Land (at DCA), and overhauls of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. I've heard some speculation about what will be in each, but here's what I'd personally like to see in each project:

Star Wars Land: The details of Star Wars Land are announced, but supposedly what is being built now is only phase one. Phase two will reportedly be based more on the original trilogy and will include a relocated Star Tours. In addition to that, I'd like to see a Battle of Yavin roller coaster, possibly incorporating VR technology to put guests right in the middle of the action.

Marvel Land: The stories I've heard indicate this land will include an Avengers roller coaster (said to be similar to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster), a copy of the Iron Man ride going into Hong Kong Disneyland, and meet and greets. In addition to these, I'd like to see dedicated rides for Captain America and Thor (perhaps a show for one and a dark ride for the other).

Fantasyland Refurb: The only things I've heard for sure is that all the remaining dark rides will get an upgrade and that a Frozen dark ride will be added. I'd personally like to see a Mystic Manor clone added as well, and a refurbishment It's a Small World that restores it to the original version (aka remove the Disney characters) would be appreciated.

Tomorrowland Redo: Rumors are all over the place concerning the future of this land, but if I was in charge and had an unlimited budget I would do the following:

-Transfer Star Tours to Star Wars Land
-Redesign the Disneyland Monorail as a resort-wide transportation system
-Keep Buzz Lightyear and Space Mountain, but remove everything else in Tomorrowland
-Retheme Tomorrowland to be more of a general sci-fi theme rather than specifically the future
-Add a Tron Lightcycles attraction (either a clone of the Shanghai version or a new attraction) on Autopia's footprint
-Add a Mission: Space clone in the Tomorrowland Expo Center
-Put a new show in the theater
-Replace Star Tours with a Guardians of the Galaxy 4D motion-based dark ride (something like Transformers)
-Add a new version of the PeopleMover
-Restore the original Rocket Jets

November 20, 2015, 4:16 PM

Thank you everyone for your wonderful ideas. AJ, have you heard when the Frozen dark ride will be added in Fantasyland? Mystic Manor would be a great addition to fantasyland as well.

I really like your ideas for Tomorrowland. I agree, it needs an upgrade, and some type of enhancement. All of your suggestions would be great for Tomorrowland. I hope some-if all of these happen.

November 20, 2015, 5:07 PM

Timbo, all I've heard regarding timing for Fantasyland is that it will happen after Star Wars Land opens and before the Tomorrowland refurb. I wouldn't be surprised if the Frozen ride is timed to correspond with Frozen 2's release (which is currently unknown), but if I had to guess at this point I'd probably say 2020 or 2021. I don't have any idea what type of attraction it will be, but if we aren't getting Mystic Manor (which is probably the case) I really hope Disney goes trackless for Frozen.

A Tomorrowland redo is supposedly the big 70th anniversary project and I would love for a complete overhaul of the land. Realistically, I'm not sure it will be as large scale as what I suggested, but at minimum I do think there will be at least one new E-ticket (and, if the tower and track remain, the return of the PeopleMover and Rocket Jets). I've got a feeling that the fates of Autopia and Finding Nemo are tied together and may be related to the performance of Finding Dory, and I've got a feeling what happens to those attractions will be the deciding factor on what the Tomorrowland overhaul contains.

November 20, 2015, 7:02 PM

AJ, when will Star Wars Land be completed? Have you heard of anything will be ready for next year in the area? A Frozen trackless ride would be great! Has there been talk about Mystic Manor possibly coming to Disneyland? It's an amazing ride.

Have you heard when Marvel Land will begin construction, and will be completed? Probably sometime after Star Wars Land I would assume. I would be really excited avoid that.

I really hope Tomorrowland is redone as some point. It just needs an upgrade. It has great rides there, but overall looks sloppy compared to the rest of the park and California Adventure.

November 20, 2015, 8:03 PM

I don't know anything with certainty, but...

When will Star Wars Land be completed?

I've heard anywhere from late 2018 to mid 2020. My guess is sometime 2019 to coincide with the release of Episode IX. I have heard that it will likely open in California first as the construction will take a year longer in Florida due to additional ground preparation and that Toy Story Land is a higher priority to capitalize on Toy Story 4.

Have you heard of anything will be ready for next year in the area?

The attention at the resort in 2016 will be directed at Season of the Force for the first half of the year, then at DCA for the summer onward with the new Frozen show and Soarin' Around the World. I'm guessing Fantasyland dark ride refurbishments may resume in 2017 and the park will probably try to do one each year. I don't know much about the small projects, but I would not count on any big project happening at either park before Star Wars Land opens.

Has there been talk about Mystic Manor possibly coming to Disneyland?

Not that I've heard of outside of fans. I've got a feeling we're more likely to get a trackless Frozen ride than Mystic Manor, and I'm 99% sure we wouldn't get both.

Have you heard when Marvel Land will begin construction, and will be completed?

Marvel Land is supposedly going to be the big Disneyland Resort announcement at the next D23 (from what I heard, it was originally going to be announced this year but was pulled to avoid hype competition). Based on that, I'm guessing a late 2017/early 2018 construction start is likely. While I haven't heard much about a timeline for this project, I'm thinking early 2021 will probably be the target completion date as that will be DCA's 20th anniversary.

As I always say when posting this type of thing, take all of it with a grain of salt. Most of what I've heard is third hand (at best) and some is pure guesswork, but when bits of information from various reasonably reliable sources fit together like puzzle pieces there has to be some truth in there.

November 21, 2015, 3:13 AM

Thanks AJ, keep us updated on anything new your hear.

November 21, 2015, 9:31 AM

Mystic Manor at DCA with the exterior of the house themed to the Winchester Mystery House to keep that California theme... Nuff said.

November 25, 2015, 12:44 AM

Tomorrowland
-I totally think that Tomorrowland should have a major refurb. I personally think that it should take on some sort of Tron look. Or something that is similar to the Tomorrowland movie! Perfect sweeping lines, straight edges. Also this would allow for better lighting at night because it just seems way too dark for being futuristic! I do agree that they need some bigger/better rides in Tomorrowland. I agree with keeping Buzz and Space Mountain. I think Buzz should get a major upgrade though. Make the animatronics better, make the queue better! That is one of my biggest pet peeves, having a dull or non-entertaining queue. The inside is great, but I think they need to expand the inside part to go more outside. It loses its magic and futuristic feel when you walk by the fairy meet-and-greet. I totally agree with trying to get PeopleMover up and running again! Also with the change of the entire land, the Astro Orbiter would need a major makeover, or it can be taken out completely. Either way, it has to be able to fit with the rethemimg. I think that Star Tours should stay where it is...and hear me out! Star Tours is supposed to be a space port for travel, so it would make sense that it wouldn't be on another "planet" because you are trying to go to that planet...does that make any sense? Anyway, I think Star Tours should stay where it is! Tomorrowland expo should stay, but with maybe a facial, in keeping with the retheming of the land. Autopia and Submarines should be removed. A giant E-Ticket attraction should be put here, or two medium sized ones.

Fantasyland
-I think this is another area that definitely needs a facelift. There needs to be better cohesion from front to back. Or if it is going to look different do what Magic Kingdom did and make mini themed lands inside of one big land. The last thing that I want is a Frozen ride! I'm sorry, but it is way too overhyped!! I'm already mad that they are getting rid of Aladdin for a Frozen stage show, I can't have a ride and a show in the same resort. I'm sorry, I just can't!!! Anyway, I definitely hope that they do a better job with retheming the dark rides. I wish they would take a page from the Undersea Adventures playbook. By this I mean, make the animatronics more real looking. Not just something that moves side to side. I get that it's classic, and it makes it more childlike, but Ariel proved that you can have both childlike, whimsical, and cartoon like, while making it have more lifelike qualities with better animatronics. I agree with Small World taking the Disney characters away! Although it's cute, it's not classic, and that ride has to be classic! Nothing should be added or taken away to this ride that isn't from the original. For all of the Fantasyland rides, they need better queues. Especially for Dumbo, Matterhorn, Small World, and other boring queues.

Tron Legacy Ride
-so for this I don't know where it would go, but I think it would be really cool. You'd enter through Flynn's Arcade, go down in the basement, through the "portal" be on the grid, and have a ride like Radiator Springs Racer/Test Track/Indiana Jones. It would be the Light Runner, but modified to seat the same amount as Indy. It would be a 3D projections mixed with practical effects (i.e. Animatronics, actual sets, etc.). I'm not sure the story, or what would happen during the ride, but I think this would be really cool!!

MARVEL Land
-I agree that there should be a MARVEL Land would be awesome, but I don't know what attractions would be there. I think a mix between Rock 'n Rollercoaster (that much of a thrill ride) and Hyperspace Mountain (having projections set up the scene) for a some sort of MARVEL property. I think it would be cool if you were fallowing Iron Man and going through a battle, then you'd see and hear all the Avengers (and maybe more characters as movies come out). I like the idea of a Guardian's dark ride. Maybe it could be a motion based 3D ride, similar to Transformers, but have it be interactive wear you are shooting enemies (or it might be better if it wasn't interactive), but either way I think this ride should be included. Something that would be cool is an Ant-Man ride. Sort of like the Ratatoullie ride in Paris, you shrink down to the size of an ant and go through a 3D adventure with Ant-Man. I think this whole land should be themed as Stark Expo. I think this would be the only way to display this land. There can be exibits where you see all of the inventions, upcoming projects, etc.

Hollywoodland
-Hollywoodland in DCA needs a makeover. It is very difficult to see what time period it's in, don't get me wrong, this land is great, but there needs to be cohesion. Also I think they should replace Monsters Inc. with something else!! I also think they should make Muopet Vision either a better more modernized version, or change the entire show, BUT NOT FROZEN!! Take that away!! Please!!!!

Mystic Manor
-I absolutely love the idea of incorporating Mystic Manor in DCA, especially giving it a Winchester Mystery House look! Where would it go though?

Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
-I don't know how popular this is, but it doesn't seem like people are that interested in it any more. I think they should completely take it out and replace it with Grizzly Gulch (or something similar). I think this would give this area a nice and different thrill ride. Also it would stay with the theming.

Toontown
-they need to refurb this area big time! Either that or take it out all together. The area just seems like it's been neglected. Also they need to get better rides in this area. Roger's is pretty good, but needs a bit of a refurb. Gadgets Go Coaster is a good idea, but it needs to be longer. It literally takes 20 seconds. The houses need to be done better! Just a lot of stuff that needs to be looked at in Toontown.

I hope you guys like my suggestions, please give me any and all feedback!!

November 26, 2015, 8:34 AM

"Mystic Manor
-I absolutely love the idea of incorporating Mystic Manor in DCA, especially giving it a Winchester Mystery House look! Where would it go though?"

Easy. Redwood Creek Challenge or across from The Little Mermaid with the show building behind the restaurant. The restaurant may need to be redesigned, but would offer a great facade to the show building.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive