Did Universal drop the ball with Despicable Me Minion Mayhem?

November 19, 2015, 7:53 PM

Two months ago I had the chance of visiting Universal Studios Hollywood. While there, I rode Despicable Me Minion Mayhem. While it was a fun ride, I felt like Universal could have really taken this IP and made an awesome trackless ride with minion AA's. Seems like a wasted opportunity for what could have been a very popular ride. Does any one else have similar thoughts? I just feel this IP deserved more than just a 3D movie style ride.

Replies (5)

November 19, 2015, 7:55 PM

Most rides are 3D simulators and I also think I'd be easier to change in a few years since I personally don't think the despicable me franchise will hold up

Edited: November 20, 2015, 10:48 AM

What are you talking about??? You do realize that the original attraction in Florida was an overlay of the old Jimmy Neutron ride, so you're suggesting that they should have developed an entirely new ride concept to install in a space that had limited square footage with which to work. I think the attractions is a great addition, and anything more, as you suggest, would have taken up more space and additional money to develop that would have drawn away from other projects like WWoHP, Springfield, and the backstage tram tour (including F&F). Not every new attraction can be an e-ticket, and Universal has a great track record recently of developing very popular installations.

Would it be great if Despicable Me were a trackless dark ride, sure, but I think pretty much everyone living in SoCal would gladly accept this clone so they can get WWoHP (even though that's also a clone of Hogsmeade in Orlando).

November 20, 2015, 12:42 PM

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem is a great ride, attracts kids and adults alike, and is mild enough for any person to ride and enjoy. Not sure which parts of that are a missed opportunity.

November 20, 2015, 3:15 PM

If the ride had been designed from a blank slate, then perhaps Universal could have done something better. However, Minion Mayhem was designed to take advantage of existing equipment at USF and the USH version is simply a clone due to cost, speed of construction, existing space, and uniformity between the two parks. Because of how it was designed, I don't think there was any wasted opportunity. It is still a really good ride (and probably my favorite fixed simulator outside of Disney) and I'd rather the money for a big E-ticket attraction be put into something more geared toward all ages (while fun for everyone, Despicable Me is still geared toward the elementary age set).

Edited: December 6, 2015, 8:31 PM

Universal was smart in that they took a previous ride system and found a new use for it. God the minions it works really well. The per show is great and the ride story makes sense with the ride system. Sure a dark ride with AA's would have been spectacular but this was an easy creation and it's proven to be successful!

Also if you look at the Simpsons ride, the same thing happened there.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive