"Plussing" the Hulk Coaster?

December 2, 2015, 1:21 PM

Universal has made it clear that the Hulk coaster is coming back to Islands of Adventure in 2016, but I wonder if anyone has heard any interest in "plussing" the ride. I seriously doubt that the coaster will return in exactly the same format that it was before, since the park is always looking for additional ways to immerse guests.

So with that said, what are some of the ways that Universal could easily plus the ride? On-ride audio? A completely updated queue and loading station? Updated effects on the launch? All of these? I have not heard anything myself, but I have to think that something will be new in this coaster experience when it returns next year.

Replies (9)

December 2, 2015, 1:50 PM

I heard something about them changing the launch in the tunnel, but I'm not sure if that will hold up.

December 2, 2015, 3:01 PM

Maybe a Hulk animatronic

December 2, 2015, 4:50 PM

The only certainty is a huge upgraded queue. I've heard rumors of on board audio and different trains & restraints. Nothing substantial yet. Universal is keeping this pretty close to the vest, and protecting the secrecy. There's probably less known on this than any other Universal project out there.

December 3, 2015, 7:13 AM

Which is interesting, because to me there is not much to be lost in promoting whatever upgrades they have in mind for the coaster to get people excited about returning next year. Unless the changes are so significant that they are game-changing, I would think they would want to go ahead and let people know what they are planning to upgrade.

December 3, 2015, 4:21 PM

Rumor:
B&M Vests
LSM "Thunderbird" Launch
Using the B&M track for Hulk Dubai
Onboard Audio
True:
Complete retrack
New Trains
B&M involvement
New story and theming

December 3, 2015, 5:41 PM

They could use a better queue with a better theme , better story line and most important of all, better A.C.

December 4, 2015, 6:06 AM

@Jaiden, interesting rumors! It'll be interesting to see what all actually ends up on the ride. With on-ride audio already on other coasters in Universal parks, I would not be surprised it it finds it way onto the Hulk. I'm not familiar with how a "Thunderbird" launch would be different from before, although a smoother release would probably benefit the ride.

@Giovanny, I completely agree that the queue could use an update, and from photos it looks like they are definitely doing a major remodel. The queue was never air-conditioned, which was a problem for me not because of the hot air, but because of the stuffiness of such a small room with so many people (and so many smells!).

December 4, 2015, 3:23 PM

@Nick M
The current (or past) Hulk launch used Drive Tires and was not made by B&M. The "Thunderbird" LSM launch is smoother, more reliable, uses less energy, and more powerful.

December 6, 2015, 8:02 PM

If we're talking about easy things for them to do then I think a few of these could work:

1. New trains with on-board audio but not the cheap type they used in six flags great adventures bizarro.

2. A new show in the tunnel. I was recently watching a pov of disneyland's space mountain, and though their tunnel projection scene was really cool. If they were to do something like that in the hulk launch tunnel it would be spectacular.

3. A new launch but were all pretty certain that it will happen.

4. Create a new story line. Maybe the people on the rise are testing out a new experiment or something. Also an updated queue.

As for track layout. I hope they shake it up a little bit but I highly doubt that they will.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive