Insulin Pump at Universal Orlando

December 17, 2015, 10:51 AM

A few weeks ago there was a post (which seems to have been removed) stating that Universal Orlando informed them that their child, who uses an insulin pump to control their diabetes, would have to remove it to ride at least some of their attractions. Since the post is no longer available (for whatever reason) I can't respond to it directly or verbatim, but being a health care professional (pharmacist)I was curious about this. I called the park and talked to someone in Guest Communications about this. She told me that each situation is unique, but that there are only a few attractions that this would be a concern (mostly the coasters with lots of G-forces) and they would treat it on a case-by-case situation. If the insulin pump was firmly attached with no chance of coming dislodged on the ride, they would be allowed to leave it on as long as it didn't affect the safety of the rider or other guests. If it could not be firmly secured, it could be treated similar to a "child swap" situation, where the pump could be detached and left with a non-rider for the duration of the ride. The representative I talked to seemed both well-informed with the situation and committed to letting anyone with this or a similar situation enjoy as much of the park experience as possible.

I's not sure if this answers the question completely, or why the original poster seems to have removed the question or comment they made, but I got the impression that the people at Universal would do what they could to allow an insulin pump-using guest to ride as much as possible, keeping their safety and that of other guests in mind.

Replies (3)

Edited: December 17, 2015, 1:28 PM

James: I saw a post about a month ago by a poster complaining that they wouldn't let him ride the Hulk with an unsecured insulin pump. This was posted after the Hulk was closed for it's redo . Was that the one you were referring to? Universal had cracked down on unsecured articles on Hulk, RRR & Dragon Challenge due to a couple of incidents relating to unsecured objects falling from the coasters and hitting people.

December 17, 2015, 1:37 PM

That's the one. I know they've cracked down on that, but I think the key word is "unsecured". If it was unsecured, that is a no-brainer and anyone with common sense should not expect to be allowed to ride it. If it was secured safely, that is a different story. As common as the pumps are now, I would think there is a way to safely secure them in situations like this. I wonder why the discussion thread disappeared- I don't remember anything unpleasant coming out of it.

December 17, 2015, 1:39 PM

Drew on the Intheloop podcast said that he could not bring his girlfriends bee allergy eppiepen on Banshee at Kings Island even though it was in a secured fanniepack. She could have gotten stung on the break run and had to have been rushed to the nearest ER if she didn't have the eppiepen.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive