Avatar 2 Expected Release at Christmas 2017

December 24, 2015, 7:33 AM

James Cameron has confirmed that his first sequel to box office champion Avatar will be December 2017:

“Christmas of ’17 is the target. At least, that’s what we’ve announced. But I don’t consider that to be as important as the fact that when we get all three films done, we drop them a year apart. I call it a meta-narrative that runs across the three movies. Each film stands alone, but it also tells one much larger story.
“We have design more or less finished, which is an enormous task,” he added. “It’s been about a two-year task. [We’ve finished] all the creatures and the landscapes, and the new worlds within the world of Pandora that you see. The writing is ongoing, but almost finished. Technical development is done. Stages are done. Infrastructure. So we’re really poised to start after the first of the year.”

This maybe the first time Disney is ahead of the curve when it comes to using an IP in a theme park. The first Avatar movie was released way back in 2009 and Animal Kingdom's Pandora: World of Avatar is based off of this one movie. How can Disney expand on the possible success of three more Avatar movies?

Replies (2)

December 26, 2015, 3:31 PM

James Cameron has been working with Disney on the Pandora land at Animal kingdom , I'm pretty sure he has gave Disney some insights into some elements of the new movie to put into the new land.

December 26, 2015, 9:00 PM

"Christmas of ’17 is the target."

That's the important quote right there. Mr. Cameron has repeatedly announced release dates, and has repeatedly delayed the project once it becomes clear that such a time frame would be infeasible. He wants it to be ready by Christmas 2017, but anything could come up.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive