Why don't people have any theme park etiquette?

Edited: January 12, 2016, 4:31 PM

A few weeks ago I visited my home park Six Flags Great Adventure to upgrade my pass to gold and get a few rides in. While there I noticed a lot of violations of basic theme park etiquette.

1. Recording on rides
This is not okay for a million reasons (http://www.thecoastercritic.com/2010/06/pov-videos-sneaking-cameras-on-roller-coasters.html). And to top it off, the ride ops warned all guests that they would be subject to a one year ban if they were caught in the act.

2. Cussing
I get it. Freedom of speech. However, there (especially for Holiday in the Park) were a lot of children in the park at the time. Just don't.

3. Smoking
Please keep your smoking to the designated smoking areas of the park. I don't want that smell.

4. Don't pressure people to ride
Don't do it! It is bad and while I have never been pressured to ride, I know it is not a good thing to do. Peer pressure never leads to anything good.

5. USE COMMON SENSE
We all paid to get it here to have fun. Don't ruin it for everyone else!

Those are all the tips I have for now, but if you follow them everyone will have a good time.

Replies (9)

January 12, 2016, 3:56 PM

"Payed?"

January 12, 2016, 4:29 PM

@TH
Fixed

January 13, 2016, 1:16 AM

Common courtesy is the same as common sense, not that common.

Unfortunately we live in the age of entitlement where everyone is a special little snowflake and many people believe the rules don't apply to them. I could rant for hours about the state of society in the modern age, but I think focusing on the points you've made here, and that Robert has discussed in the past is much healthier (better for the blood pressure).

January 13, 2016, 1:25 PM

I, myself try to Fart in line to piss off the annoying folks...
Just make sue not to Shart...

January 18, 2016, 11:44 AM

I'm with Grant. Seems to be getting worse too. I had some girl talk on her cell phone for 3/4 of the star tours ride. Wasn't speaking English, but I think common courtesy in all cultures was to put the phone away.

January 20, 2016, 6:39 AM

When left unsupervised many people, not all, will behave in any way they like. We don't want to be policed everywhere we go but the presence of a staff member or two pointing out the courtesy rules in a nice way might help.
I once had to take matters in hand myself when the Twister pre-show was being ruined by someone loudly translating everything for their family. It nearly turned nasty when the guy reacted badly to my request to be quiet. Had a staff member politely asked them to stop then it might not have escalated to that potential flash point. We wait in line for a long time for some of these attractions and we want to experience it in the best way possible.

January 20, 2016, 12:56 PM

While I was riding the Wild Arctic ride at Sea World, some idiot kept taking flash photography of the ride. I wanted to push him into the polar bear exhibit at that moment.

January 20, 2016, 1:30 PM

A friend and I were in row 5 for El Toro. A women and her two children were in row 4. When the air gates opened, she cut in front of my friend and sat down next to me. After asking her politely to fill a single rider seat Six Flags staff came over and professionally handled the situation. Then after 3 minuets and the train behind stacking, they ejected her and her family out of the park.

Edited: January 21, 2016, 7:00 AM

Ha, nice to hear some justice there Jaiden.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive