Let´s try to pinpoint when will the Nintendo stuff debut at the different Universal resorts

March 1, 2016, 8:59 AM

This source claims it will debut at UOR in 2018:
http://www.parkscope.net/p/future-uor-projects.html

But this other source, says UOR will be the last one to get the Nintendo stuff, in 2020, while USJ will get it first in 2018 and USH in 2019:
http://themeparkuniversity.com/universal/universal-theme-parks-looking-to-steamroll-competition-with-future-growth/

Any educated guesses?

Replies (7)

Edited: March 1, 2016, 9:29 AM

I fixed the Links:

Parkscope.net

And this is Link 2:

Themeparkuniversity

March 1, 2016, 9:47 AM

Thanks Brian. Do you havr any guesses?

March 1, 2016, 10:22 AM

In Orlando they should take Hollywood Studios and replace it with Nintendo Land.. (just kidding). But I have been a long time advocate for an entire Star Wars Park at that location.

Anyway it has to be at the Kidszone are in USO - there is a lot of space over in that area. From just after ET - take all of that space, take down the WoodyWood pecker coaster also and there is a fountain that is useless..

Edited: March 1, 2016, 3:37 PM

At USH, plans are very much in flux at the moment. The most recent thing I heard was that Nintendo Land was going to be opening there in 2021 and replace Waterworld and Shrek 4-D, with Harry Potter Part 2 (which may or may not be Diagon Alley) replacing Revenge of the Mummy and the surrounding area for 2020. I could see a decision to move stuff around, but if Harry Potter is indeed replacing Waterworld I hope it is an extension of Hogsmeade rather than Diagon Alley, as the former would work a lot better. If that happens, Nintendo Land would likely take over the Lower Lot space and I could possibly see it being ready for 2019 if they haul on construction.

I don't know that much about the project in Florida, but I would be very surprised if Florida got the land in 2018 simply because construction hasn't started yet and there are so many other projects scheduled first. 2020 could be realistic, but I could also see 2021 to compete with WDW and open the land at the same time on both coasts. I'm guessing it will replace Woody Woodpecker's KidZone in Florida (except for possibly E.T. Adventure), but I could also see it used as a Toon Lagoon replacement or even Marvel Super Hero Island if Disney managed to buy the rights from Universal. As for Japan, I'd be very surprised if they aren't the first park to get the land, but I really don't know anything about projects there beyond Flying Dinosaur.

March 1, 2016, 5:46 PM

March 1, 2016, 9:35 PM

I think that Orlando will actually be the second resort to get the Nintendo treatment. I'm fairly certain that Japan will get it first probably around 2018, followed by Orlando in 2020. However, it all depends what year Star Wars Land opens because that could change the opening date as well. Hollywood, though I love that park, is in a dilema. Shrek 4D is going soon. I don't know when but the chances of that ride leaving within the next 2 years is very high. Also Hollywood is probably going to build the first version of the Sercret Life of Pets dark ride which will be within the next year or two. I really don't see where a Nintendo land can go. I highly doubt that they will remove revenge of the mummy. It is their only "extreme" roller coaster and the guests love it. Besides that factor, I could understand if in Hollywood they wanted to build a Mario Kart ride or something like that but to have the majority of the lower lot converted to Potter II or a land filled with Nintendo seems to be a poor choice. People want different attractions. What are they going to say to those who dislike Nintendo? "I'm sorry the majority of the lower lot is nintendo land but there are still 2 rides for you to visit down the escalators that aren't nintendo themed."

My final thought is this about USH. Get rid of Shrek to expand the Hogsmeade border. Keep waterworld. It is one of the best theme park shows out there and it would be a shame to loose it. Keep the lower lot the way it is and add more. There are 2 empty soundstages that are not in use right next to Transformers. Expand that way and don't eliminate what you already have.

Edited: March 2, 2016, 10:19 AM

Nintendo would be perfect as the beginning of a new park and land in Orlando at their newly purchased site. They could build it ambitiously at 25 acres, which would not be large enough to be a new park, but it could be a separate entrance gate and add-on. By doing this, Universal wouldn't be restricted the same way Disney is in doing Star Wars. They should use at least 3 different Nintendo properties to tie-up the girl, boy, and adult market. Each get their wants. Girls get their Nintendo castle and princess, boys get Donkey Kong and Mario Bros, adults get darker and thrilling fare.

At USH, wouldn't it be great if they can design Diagon Alley full sized at the lower lot? I wouldn't remove The Mummy for this. I would instead propose it be tacked on adjacent to the New York streets as a walk on set piece. It will bridge the gap from the lower lot to the restricted stage pieces. At London, you can board the trams to ride the rest of the attractions. This will ensure Hogwarts Express will be an actual transportation system from the old trams loading station to Diagon Alley. This will solve the problem of the horrible steep escalator descent.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive