Is virtual reality the way forward?

Edited: March 3, 2016, 1:54 PM

Six flags just announced that they are going to be putting virtual reality headsets onto 9 coasters across their parks. Add this to alton towers new galactica ride and a few others around the world, it begs the question is virtual reality the way forward for theme park rides?

Personally I'm undecided, this is partially because I think the use of virtual reality would be really cool and would be able to give a coaster new life, but at the same time it could lead to increased motion sickness and headaches for some people.
On the other hand, some people could say that VR is a cheat for theme parks as they should be trying to make amazing immersive environments like what harry potter has done without the use of a VR headset. Albeit the harry potter rides do use 3d screens, but they are mixed with physical elements to make it see less and to an extent real, the problem with VR is that it would never feel as real as the other rides do.
Don't me wrong I am all for the use of VR headsets on rides but I feel that it is a bit of a cop out literally just to be staring at a phone screen whilst riding a ride. There is also the issue of these VR headsets being brokenness lost. The problem I think will arise is that more and more companies will start to use VR headsets in a blank show building rather than having that show building full of loads of props, physical elements, effects and 3d screens.

What are your thoughts on this issue and are you looking forward to virtual reality rides?
Also are there any rides that would benefit from having VR in the future?

Replies (6)

March 3, 2016, 10:12 AM

Terrible idea that will be executed terribly. Also, don't like how every six flags park is getting Metropolis.

March 3, 2016, 12:03 PM

It's just a cheap way to pass as "theming". But then again six flags isn't know for that...

March 3, 2016, 1:21 PM

I replied in the front page post, but here's the short version. I think this is a gimmick that will be popular in the short term but, unless it is done really well, will probably die out in a season or two. If it works right, this is a much more budget friendly way to plus a coaster than creating an immersive themed environment around it, and as long as the system remains completely optional I'm okay with its use. Most likely, this is something I'll try once or twice, but I doubt it will become something I'll want to use every ride. My guess is the general public will probably feel the same way (particularly if the system is an upcharge), and I don't see this becoming the future of roller coasters or theme park rides as a whole.

March 4, 2016, 12:23 AM

When I visited the Philippines last year, there was this attraction at a mall where people could enjoy the feeling of riding in a coaster but with 3D glasses and a screen. They use this coaster looking seat and then machines to make it move. The view is on a very wide screen in front of them and it would feel like they're actually in the place. But of course it's usually 3D cartoons. Doesn't really feel natural. But somehow, it's alike VR. Based on my experienced on that "ride", VR could be a lot better, but nothing still beats real coaster rides with real views and real loops.

Edited: March 6, 2016, 6:54 AM

Its just a fad. Just like last time we had VR, 3d TVs, etc. It will disappear almost as quickly as it came.

March 9, 2016, 1:22 AM

Easy come, easy go as they say.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive