Celebrating the Blues in Chicago, Theme Park-Style

September 13, 2015, 9:35 PM

Chicago's Navy Pier might be getting a new theme park-style attraction celebrating Blues music.

BRC Imagination Arts in on board with local developers to create the Chicago Blues Experience, which promoters say "will feature state-of-the-art interactive technology that takes visitors on an eye-opening, immersive journey into the past, present, and future of the blues."

The Chicago Tribune last week endorsed the project, which also would include a concert venue and restaurants. About 75 percent of the funding is in place, according to sources cited by the Tribune, and the project is scheduled to open in late 2017.

BRC Imagination Arts this summer opened a similar project, themed to country music. The "Soul of Nashville" experience opened in June in the renovated Ryman Auditorium, the one-time home of the Grand Ole Opry. "Through special effects, archival images and footage, performers from the Ryman's past become multidimensional right before the viewer’s eyes," according to the Ryman press release.

And, of course, classical music fans who read Theme Park Insider might remember that BRC Imagination Arts founder Bob Rogers was the producer of Epcot's "Impressions de France," which offers an all-time great classical music soundtrack, featuring works by French composers including Debussy, Ravel, and Saint-Saens.

Replies (1)

September 14, 2015, 12:04 PM

I say this is fantastic news! Unlike most people from Chicago, I love Navy Pier. I think its really great!

I am not surprised at this company coming in either. I believe they helped with the Lincoln Museum in Springfield that created an entertaining, yet educational look at the 16th president.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive