Disney to Change Boardwalk's Flying Fish Cafe

October 13, 2015, 3:17 PM

Walt Disney World today announced that the Flying Fish Cafe on the Boardwalk in the Epcot resort district will close Jan. 31 for a "reimagining."

From Disney's press release: "You can expect a whole new look, and the team will be working on a new menu (but no worries, the potato-wrapped snapper remains and seasonal approach stay the same). The reimagined dining room will still have an onstage kitchen and an airier design, with more room for the popular Chef’s Counter and wine dinners."

Scott Joseph has more details.

Russell Meyer reviewed the Chef's Counter at the Flying Fish Cafe for us back in 2013: Where to eat? Flying Fish Café Chef's Counter at Walt Disney World's Boardwalk Resort

Replies (4)

October 14, 2015, 7:19 AM

This seems to be the new trend in the industry to open up kitchens even more. I felt the kitchen here was already pretty open, but having just 8 seats at the under-advertised chef's counter is probably limiting for the upcharge meal. I'm not sure how much more open they can make this kitchen (aside from lowering the height of the stations), but they can certainly rearrange things to allow more seats similar to what they have at Napa Rose in the Grand Californian.

While I haven't eaten there, the Narcose's renovation has been quite a boon for that restaurant, and when I peeked inside the dining room prior to our Victoria & Albert's Chef's Table meal, I noticed how nice that dining room is. The hope should be that they can do the same to Flying Fish that they've done to the Grand Floridian mainstay.

October 18, 2015, 9:55 AM

I know they have to keep updating the resorts and restaurant, but why fix what isn't broke? It was one of the more popular restaurants in the entire resort area.

Edited: October 18, 2015, 3:04 PM

I have to agree with Anthony on this one. Judging from the current pictures of the facility, it is in pretty good shape and the athmosphere is good. Like Anthony said, if it ain't broken, don't bother fixin it.

October 18, 2015, 10:05 PM

The trouble with restaurants, though, seems to be that if you wait until it's broke - it's dead. You have to be proactive and update before it's needed, while minimizing the downtime that brings its own risks. It's a tough management call. Those that call it right succeed and those who don't, fail.

I think Disney's making the right call on this one, though. It's not needed yet, but would be in a couple years, so strike now and stay ahead of the market.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive