10 ways to show that the good outnumber the bad
Published: April 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I'm sure that many of you have read Patton Oswalt's inspiring Facebook post
yesterday [language potentially NSFW], in response to the horrors in Boston. His message that the good outnumber the bad in society reminded me a picture posted by my friend Rafat Ali
, who edits the new travel news site Skift
. (It was posted in the back of a cab.)
Let's let these words inspire us to action. Here are 10 steps you can take on your next theme park visit to remind everyone around you -- as well as yourself -- that the good overwhelms the bad in life.
- Thank every park employee you encounter throughout the day.
- Smile at every person you see frowning.
- Clap and cheer wildly for every performer you see in the park.
- Let the other group go ahead of you when you arrive at the same place at the same time.
- Offer to take another group's picture, so everyone in that group can be in it.
- Clear your table and leave immediately after eating, when other diners are looking for a place to sit.
- Overtip your waiters.
- Give away a Fastpass if you aren't going to use it. (Remember that Fastpasses expire now, so be aggressive about getting rid of the ones you won't need, before it's too late to use them.)
- Pay it forward and buy the churros (or popcorn or Citrus Swirls or whatever) for the people in line behind you, too.
- Never be afraid of travel, of going out in public, or of anyone you meet along the way, no matter their race, age, gender, or ethnicity. Feed the good wolf and cherish all the great people out there around you every day.
What are you doing to make people feel better today?
Published: April 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM
"The one you feed"...Very wise words.
Published: April 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I keep feeding the one that widdles in the garden and chews up his toys, leaving bits of plush all over the room.
Which one is that?
Published: April 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Do not reserve table in quick service restaurants on crowded days if you see people standing next to you with food in their hands !
Published: April 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Never be afraid.
Don't let anyone scare you.
Live your life, don't let them win, ever.
Published: April 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Good positive list!!
Inside or outside a theme park, you never know how much a smile, a thank you, an acknowledgement or kind world can impact someone :-)
Published: April 17, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Goes to show that the smallest things we can do in life, like a little smile, can cheer someone up for the rest of the day!
Very inpriational post. I'm going to tell my kids that story when they get home from school.
Published: April 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM
While a horrendous event to happen my thought was:
While there are people that will run towards the bomb to help their fellow human, terror cannot and will not win.
Be excellent to each other.
Published: April 17, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Published: April 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Awesome post Robert ...you could also quote Gandalf from the hobbit " I found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay, simple acts of kindness and love..."
Published: April 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Kelly, thank you for the shout-out to one of my favorite movies..one I haven't seen in many years and should really watch again, especially since two of the major players have since passed on..both of whom I've seen perform live, as well as Jane Wiedlin!
Published: April 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Hi, I loved your comments which I think were made to reflect on the boston bombing. My son, who works security fo RI Hospitol was sent to Boston to help! Yes I agree with you if we all hide in our basements these twisted persons win- like so many other episodes before this, I read you every Saturday on my "lazy" day but this story by you hit home!!! Take Good Care Tom Gelfuso RI
This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.
Previous article: Disney policy change on accompanying children under seven on rides
Top U.S. Theme Parks
Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Disney California Adventure
Universal's Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios Florida
Universal Studios Hollywood
SeaWorld San Diego
Busch Gardens Tampa
Other Top International Parks
Universal Studios Japan
Hong Kong Disneyland
Walt Disney Studios Paris
Universal Studios Singapore
Features, News and Advice
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
The Theme Park Insider Awards
What's Under Construction for 2015/6?
How to Stay Safe at a Theme Park
2005 (Dec 27-31)
2005 (Jan-Dec 26)