10 ways to show that the good outnumber the bad
Written by Robert Niles
Published: April 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I'm sure that many of you have read Patton Oswalt's inspiring Facebook post
yesterday [language potentially NSFW], in response to the horrors in Boston. His message that the good outnumber the bad in society reminded me a picture posted by my friend Rafat Ali
, who edits the new travel news site Skift
. (It was posted in the back of a cab.)
Let's let these words inspire us to action. Here are 10 steps you can take on your next theme park visit to remind everyone around you -- as well as yourself -- that the good overwhelms the bad in life.
- Thank every park employee you encounter throughout the day.
- Smile at every person you see frowning.
- Clap and cheer wildly for every performer you see in the park.
- Let the other group go ahead of you when you arrive at the same place at the same time.
- Offer to take another group's picture, so everyone in that group can be in it.
- Clear your table and leave immediately after eating, when other diners are looking for a place to sit.
- Overtip your waiters.
- Give away a Fastpass if you aren't going to use it. (Remember that Fastpasses expire now, so be aggressive about getting rid of the ones you won't need, before it's too late to use them.)
- Pay it forward and buy the churros (or popcorn or Citrus Swirls or whatever) for the people in line behind you, too.
- Never be afraid of travel, of going out in public, or of anyone you meet along the way, no matter their race, age, gender, or ethnicity. Feed the good wolf and cherish all the great people out there around you every day.
What are you doing to make people feel better today?
This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.
Previous article: Disney policy change on accompanying children under seven on rides
Stories from a Theme Park Insider
What's it like to work in a theme park? Stories from a Theme Park Insider
takes you inside the famous tunnels and backstage at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom for a look at how theme parks really work, sharing the funny moments and embarrassments that can happen when your job is someone else's vacation.
Order now: Kindle
| Kindle (UK)
Top U.S. Theme Parks
Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Universal's Islands of Adventure
Disney California Adventure
Universal Studios Florida
Universal Studios Hollywood
SeaWorld San Diego
Busch Gardens Tampa
Other Top International Parks
Universal Studios Japan
Hong Kong Disneyland
Walt Disney Studios Paris
Universal Studios Singapore
Features, News and Advice
"Stories from a Theme Park Insider"
"Theme Park Insider: Orlando 2014"
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
The Theme Park Insider Awards
What's under construction for 2014/5?
How to stay safe at a theme park
2005 (Dec 27-31)
2005 (Jan-Dec 26)
Theme Park Insider Guidebooks
Theme Park Insider: Orlando 2014 features our reader ratings, tips, and advice for visiting Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld and more!
Kindle | iBooks | Paperback