Disney Planning AdviceWalt Disney World: Help me figure out some disney planning tips! :)
From Sara MWe decided on an early December trip to Disney World :) I could really use some planning advice though.
Posted August 6, 2010 at 8:59 AM
1. Were interested in booking at the Port Orleans. How is it?? Recommended?
2. Park hopper vs no Park hopper? - We'll be staying Monday through Sunday.
3. Although I have done WWOHP already the two people Im going with have not and are insisting on going. Are current plan is to vacation Mon-Sun. We wont to stay at least 5 nights in Disney to take advantage of the dining special but were considering leaving on Saturday morning and moving over to Universal's Royal Pacific for the night to take advantage of the fast pass access. I'm not sure if that plan or just staying on disney property and heading over to universal for one would be a better plan. Ideas???
I'll now be reading though everyones trip reports for the rest of the day to figure out all the best things to do! We have one Disney Newbie with us so i want to make sure she has the perfect experience!
Comments in chronological order. Most recent at the bottom. Scroll down to respond.
From Tim W1. Port Orleans is good, I suggest French Quarter.
Posted August 6, 2010 at 9:44 AM
2. I would get the park hopper. It is always nice to have, especially on the day you visit Animal Kingdom. You may want to split up parks or something as well. I would get it to be on the safe side.
3. I'm not too sure about this one. I mean, only one day to go through universal seems kind of scarce. But I would suggest going to their hotel for the day. WWHP will be extremly busy and you will ant to have any shortcut you can. You are getting a rental or taking your car?
From TH CreativeWhile visiting the Magic Kingdom ride the Jungle Cruise as it is the greatest ride ever!
Posted August 6, 2010 at 10:13 AM
Stay at the Hard Rock at Universal. You can walk to the gates of IOA. The other nice thing is you pass through City Walk going back to the hotel where you can grab a bite to eat.
Use the early admission and hit Potter. By any Potter-related gifts and use package pick-up to have them shipped to the hotel.
From Nick Markham1. I have heard Port Orleans is nice, though I would suggest Contemporary Resort if you are willing to spend the money. Great access to the parks via not just bus, but water taxi and monorail.
Posted August 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM
2. Park Hoppers would be a must if you will try and do Universal as well.
3. They should push to go to WWOHP and how could you not want to go back! ;D Listen to TH on Hard Rock Hotel. It is too wild of a hotel for me or any family, but it is the closest to the parks (just steps from USF). Then it is possible to do everything at both parks in 1 day (I will prove this in a later trip report of mine!)
Any more questions? I would love to help!
From Anthony Murphy1. Yes, Port Orleans is great and right in the middle of the action. Personally, I like Riverside better because of the food. Still, you can't go wrong.
Posted August 6, 2010 at 11:38 AM
2. Yes, as mentioned, get a park hopper! Its only an extra $52 and you might want to do a couple of parks, especially on the final days. AK also closes early so its a good park to pair with Magic Kingdom which usually closes late!
From Anthony MurphyBefore Harry Potter Land, I was able to do everything at Universal Orlando.
Posted August 6, 2010 at 11:41 AM
From Will ChilcotePark Hopper pass is a good idea. Several of the parks have night time shows that are definitely worth seeing. Also, Its a lot of fun to go to the restaurants (make reservations) at Epcot and then go back to whatever park you where touring that day. Also, if u are going off season Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios can be done in a day or less. Last time I was at Animal Kingdom off season, we did all the attractions in about 5 hours and spent the rest of the day at Magic Kingdom. As to the hotel, never been there, we usually stay off site at a time share.
Posted August 6, 2010 at 2:58 PM
Moving near to Universal when you are going there is a good idea. Its a long drive to Universal. And I have heard really good things about their hotels. Front of the line passes are really nice especially with the crowds they have been getting since Harry Potter opened.
From Nick Markham^^Anthony, With Potterland I've been able to do everything in one day still!
Posted August 6, 2010 at 5:45 PM
From Anthony MurphyI kinda thought so, but I am the kind of person that would probably browse the scenes there for awhile. I am intregued by Butter and Boars Head Beer.
Posted August 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM
From Nick Markham^Yeah, the first visit, don't even think of trying to do it and the rest of the resort in one day. You will want to ride Harry Potter a couple of times (at least once through the main queue as it is truly amazing) as well as check out the different shops and stops. I did the whole thing on the last day of my trip, however, so I was able to rush since I'd already done everything over the course of my trip.
Posted August 7, 2010 at 8:34 AM
From Sara MThanks for all your great advice! We will def be doing the hopper! I counting down the days already. I can't wait till December!
Posted August 9, 2010 at 6:13 AM
From Victoria Jurkowskifor the disney parks, when choosing your parks for the day avoid the parks with early access or night shows unless you are using the early hours or seeing the show. people who don't get park hoppers usually go to these parks on those days, and these parks are most crowded, so i've found.
Posted August 11, 2010 at 1:45 PM
This discussion has been archived, and is not accepting additional responses.
Stories from a Theme Park Insider
Stories from a Theme Park Insider offers a warm and often-funny look at what it's like to work inside the world's most popular theme park. It's a great read for theme park fans!
Top U.S. Theme Parks
Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
Other Top International Parks
Readers' Top Themed Rides
Top Roller Coasters
Top Theme Park Shows
Features, News and Advice
2014 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr.
2013 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2012 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2011 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2010 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2009 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2008 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2007 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2006 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2005 Blog PostsDec.
2004-2005Staff column archive