Just Published: Theme Park Insider: 2016 Year in Review

The Legend

The Legend was the second wooden roller coaster built in Holiday World as part of the 2000 expansion. Another CCI creation, the coaster is supposed to recreate the ride Ichabod Crane took through the woods of Sleepy Hollow, desperately trying to outrun the dreaded Headless Horseman. It boasts a 113-foot drop, a helix and a top speed of 59 mph.

For 2016, the park refurbished the coaster, adding a new double-down element at the end of the helix, to create more airtime. In addition, the park lowered the hill before Frightful Falls, so the trains would carry more speed, which they do into a new tunnel after the hill.

The retracking that occurred has really made this a smooth ride, and it has a great amount of kick. I really recommend this coaster to anyone who loves a good wooden coaster. Its definitely in my top 5 wooden roller coasters.
This ride has a good amount of airtime and some of the most intense laterals on any coaster anywhere. It is also a long ride, but not so long that dull spots start to appear. Lastly, while not glass smooth Legend is not as rough as you might expect it to be.
If you're like me and you're not a big wood coaster fan, you probably won't crave repeat rides on this. My teenage daughter hated the roughness and refused to ride it again. While I didn't hate it, I wasn't disappointed when it ended. When we were there in July 2013, we never saw any kind of line for this ride. We were able to walk right on while there was a 30-minute wait at The Voyage. This one didn't appear to be a big hit. At the end, a young guy in front of us said, "Ugh. I have a headache." That sums it up pretty well.