First Six Flags VR Coaster Debuts in Texas

March 14, 2016, 10:19 PM

Six Flags has opened its first virtual reality roller coaster, at Six Flags Over Texas.

The Shock Wave got The New Revolution VR animation, which also will debut at Six Flags Magic Mountain later this month. You can read more about Six Flags' VR plans in our original post: Six Flags to Add Virtual Reality to Nine Coasters This Year and check out a preview of The New Revolution at SFMM in our video:

Replies (4)

March 15, 2016, 4:08 AM

Looks really fun and I can't wait to try one this year!

March 15, 2016, 12:12 PM

Why go on a coaster only to look into goggles?
I want to see the hills, turns and blind spots....

March 15, 2016, 1:36 PM

I find it really amusing that throughout the enthusiast community there was overwhelming dislike for this idea, but every review I've read from Shockwave has been very positive about the experience. I'm excited to give it a try at SFMM at the end of the month, and if the reviews were right I have a feeling a lot of naysayers may be eating their words if they give it a try with an open mind.

By the way, if you want to get technical, Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia actually opened on Saturday with VR for a couple hours before glitches caused them to pull the system. That is the one issue I've been hearing...the technology is new and can have problems. When it does work, it is said to be excellent, but just like any new attraction there will be some test and adjust needed in the first few weeks.

Edited: March 16, 2016, 11:50 AM

Hey AJ - I will look forward to your unbiased review..

I can see creating a new attraction to use the VR but not using an already built coaster. They can have a mild ride and make it seem like huge hills and inversions using the VR technology. The cost saving for construction will be fantastic. Small ride that feels huge.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive