Technician Found Dead In Disneyland Paris' Phantom Manor

Edited: April 4, 2016, 4:30 AM

A technician was found dead Saturday morning in Disneyland Paris' Phantom Manor attraction - the European version of what's known elsewhere as Haunted Mansion.

Sky News are reporting that he was electrocuted working on the ride's lighting prior to opening. The park remains open, but the attraction will be closed until Wednesday at the earliest to allow for an investigation to take place.

With Big Thunder Mountain, the riverboats and Pocahontas Indian Village all closed for extensive refurbishment, that leaves Frontierland without any significant attractions aside from the new Forest of Enchantment show in the far corner.

Replies (5)

April 4, 2016, 10:11 AM

This just crushes me to read. How terrible.

I suspect that there will be a media frenzy in Europe, given the irony of the location here. Plus, there should be a needed conversation about workplace safety. But for right now, I'm just devastated for this cast member's family, friends and co-workers.

April 4, 2016, 12:13 PM

Wow... Just depressing. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I agree with Robert, I hope this sparks (I didn't mean for that to be a pun, please don't hate me) a discussion on workplace safety.

April 4, 2016, 5:37 PM

@Robert Niles maybe in French news, at least I didn't hear something about it hear in Germany, even though France is our neighbor. It is also possible that Disney tries to keep media as quiet as possible about it. I also hope that this might make people think more about work place safety, because it should not be possible that someone gets accidentally electrocuted in a facility that is supposed to be in good repair at any time and is only handled by trained people.

April 4, 2016, 11:22 PM

Indeed terrible news. What I don't get is how a precaution against this was not taken. Aren't there supervisors or sensors that keep the ride off until everyone is clear?

April 5, 2016, 2:47 AM

That's exactly what I was wondering, too. I'd like to know if this terrible accident was was caused by human error or faulty electronics. Because if it was caused by human error, it would be easier to make sure it won't happen again in the future by installing systems that prevent people from working on it while the power is still on.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.



Theme Park Tickets

  Orlando attractions

  Southern California attractions

Get News Updates